floor drain to exterior sump pump

Old 12-25-15, 04:47 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
floor drain to exterior sump pump

I have a house build in the late 1920s with what I think may be an unusual set up. I cant find any other similar system online. My basement has a floor drain and a 6" cast pipe that runs out into the yard to a sump that is about 50' away. There is about 10" of fall over the entire distance. The well in the yard has a plastic casing with a concrete bottom (as best I can tell). The pipe from the basement flows into the bottom of the well. In the well there is a pump that pumps the water further down the hill.

Typically this has worked okay. When we have rains water does seep and spray into the basement. The most water we have seen in there is about 2-3" normally. (we are close to a natural aquifer although the house is on a hill; there are several natural springs close by). When we have heavy rains the system struggles to keep up. This week, for example, we had about 4" of rain and I was at 12" of water in the basement. After getting it drained by moving the pump to the floor inside temporary, and observing the system closely, it seems that the well is subject to filling with groundwater as well as basement water. I think this week it was just overwhelmed and ground water could of been filling the basement from outside.

I am not inclined, for financial reasons, to redo the entire system with a new sump in the basement. However the short-term solution I see is to seal the well outside. The black plastic casing is split, or has some sort of joint about 4' down. I can see the water seeping in there. I do not know if that was intentional or the pipe just came in those lengths and they stacked them. I can also see water pushing up from around the concrete below.

I suspect this pipe underground may of continued a lot further away at some point when the property behind me was all part of the same estate. There is a pretty long slope downhill to a pond. And I did find a similar sized pipe laying back in the woods in the same lineal direction of the current pipe last summer, I just remembered.

My questions are:
Does anyone know a way to seal the bottom better and seal the joint in the plastic?
Anyone seen a system like this before?
Or do I just need a stronger pump? lol.
Thanks in advance

Old 12-25-15, 05:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
None of the above. Seal the foundation so the water doesn't enter, at all.

Old 12-25-15, 05:39 PM
V
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Is the property behind you higher in elevation ?

Has it been developed, and contributing to the run-off on your parcel ?

Since it all sounds like it's all downhill from the property behind you towards the Pond in front of you, would a French Drain be useful in capturing the run-off from your rear, and re-directing it around your residence and down the hill, bypassing the need to even travel through your (now dryer) basement ?

Or am I mis-understanding your topography ?

Old 12-25-15, 08:48 PM
V
I was not thorough in my topographical description. The house is on a ridge; it is downhill in three directions. To the north there is not an increase in elevation for at least a half mile. The closest house 400 yards away. The pond is to the east and is a solid 20' or more below the house in elevation, so it is not a factor. No new developments around me except for an unusually heavy rainfall this week.

The basement is not a full basement; only the eastern wall is a foundation wall. To seal it would be a massive undertaking that is not going to happen. The water has been coming in for 85 years, and its going to keep on coming. The house is on a aquifer, so the water comes with some force. I just want to drain it out as efficiently as possible using the set-up I have. I know a french drain might be a little better. I also know to I need to get the gutters draining a little further away from the house. Please note, for the last two years (I have lived here two years) there has not been more than 2 inches of water and those times it was a pump issue such as a stuck float or clogged screen, so it works okay and I don't see a need for a major redesign. I think if I can seal the well that I have it will be fine. I only got concerned this week because the bottom of my furnace was getting wet, and I would rather my burner not get wet.

Last edited by vabluemtns; 12-25-15 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 01:44 PM
A
Received 245 Upvotes on 225 Posts
You might not be able or willing to hermetically sealing the basement but you should at least be able to seal it enough so water does not spray or spurt or gush in.

Are you sure that water does not pool up anywhere around the outside of the foundation?

So long as water can flow freely from the floor drain out somewhere, the water can freely flow back in if the destination is a place that can get overfilled with water.

If one sump pump in the basement cannot keep up, you might try installing a second sump pump in a different corner of the basement.

At any rate you need a perimeter perforated subfloor drain pipe system to collect water to go to the sump pump. This works a little better if installed just outside the foundation but it is usually easier to install in an existing house just inside the foundation.

Old 12-26-15, 03:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The water has been coming in for 85 years
There is no sense in breaking 85 year old traditions.

You might not be able or willing to hermetically sealing the basement but
At least make an attempt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: