Water problems.

Old 02-02-16, 03:16 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water problems.

Hi. Is there anybody who can help? We have a well and it has been playing up recently. We had a lot of rain and the valve from the well blocked with sediment. I cleaned it out and rewired the contacts. We have a pressure tank attached to our system and the pressure in it is hovering around the 3.5 Bar mark. Over the last couple of days the lights have been flickering when water is run and the flow is now surging wildly through the taps. Can anyone help? Is that pressure adequate? Do I need to put more air into the tank? Do I need to clean out the valve again?

Old 02-02-16, 04:04 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
What valve are you talking about?
Which type pressure tank do you have, one with a bladder?
Check the smaller tube from the tank to the pressure switch to make sure it's not plugged up?
Does it build up pressure and shut off with no water being used?

Old 02-02-16, 04:19 AM
D
Hi, many thanks for your message. I am not sure what type of tank I have but I will check. The valve I am talking about is on the line from the well and has a valve inside it with some electrical contacts inside. This is what was clogged up before. The switch seems to open and close when there is not water being required. When water is required I can hear the water surging into the tank in the loft and the water coming out of the tap is surging also. Hope you can help.

Old 02-02-16, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Why did you "rewire the contact" and what exactly did you do?

First I would check the air pressure in your tank. With the pump off and the water system totally bled down so no water flows when you open a tap the air in the pressure tank should be 2-3 psi (.15 bar) less than the pressure at which the pump turns on.

Sediment can clog pressure switches and the pipe nipple that usually connects them to the main water pipe. When they become clogged the switch acts sluggishly and sometimes delayed. If it's partially clogged you'll most often see the water pressure in the house drop lower than normal before the pump turns on and the pressure may go higher than normal before it turns off but usually the problem is most evident on the low pressure end.

If your switch is turning on the pump when no water is being used it could indicate a leak somewhere. It could be the foot valve or check valve down in the well or the piping somewhere. To check you need a working pressure gauge on the water system. Make sure no water is being used and the pump is not running. The pressure should hold steady. If it drops when no water is being used then you have a leak somewhere.

Old 02-02-16, 05:52 AM
D
Hi. Apologies. I didn't rewire the contacts I just wired them back up. I had been shown how to clean out the valve by a plumber and so had cleaned the valve and put the wired the valve back up. i will check the contacts again as I may have made a mistake. Don't think so as I had taken a picture before i touched anything and was sure i had rewired it back up correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: