Sump pump to weeping tile?

Old 05-08-16, 04:24 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pump to weeping tile?

Hey guys, I just moved into an older home that has raised 3 blocks, and a new floor poured over the existing one. I plan on finishing the basement but am having a few spots leaking and want to fix this before I do so. My plan is to install a sump pump as there is none at the the moment. I have looked at a few diagrams to help me understand how to do it properly and many of the show the sump pump connected directly to the weeping tile. This would require me to chip down to below my footing, then try and dig underneath to try and expose my weeping tile and somehow make a connection. My question is will a sump pump still do the job right if it is not tied in with the weeping tile?

Old 05-09-16, 06:08 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
A sump pump all by itself protects only a few feet worth of basement all around it. The exact radius depends on the porosity of the soil just outside and inside the foundation.

The weeping tile system connected to the sump pump pit extends the protection to include a few feet on each side of the trench and usually makes it possible to protect the entire basement with one sump pump.

A weeping tile system for which there is no way to remove the water far from the house offers no protection against basement flooding.

Don't forget, you do not direct the sump pump output into the weeping tile. You collect the weeping tile water in the sump pump pit and pump the water up and out of the basement. This means that the sump pump pit must be somewhat deeper than the level of the weeping tiles.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-09-16 at 06:26 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: