Replacing pressure tank advice

Old 06-01-16, 12:35 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing pressure tank advice

Hi: I'm replacing the pressure tank in my basement. It is a secondary tank (the first tank is in the pump house 150' from my house (submersible pump with tank/switch, etc).

The tank in the basement no longer will hold air - bladder shot?

Anyways, I have a new tank, but am wondering how to do the switch as there is no union between the existing tank and the rest of the fittings.

I could disconnect the line from the pumphouse easily enough, but the line to the house fixtures (combination of brass/copper/pex) seems to present a problem. I have no pex tools, so that will have to stay untouched.

The simplest way I can see is to cut both sides of the copper 90, disconnect the line from the pumphouse, lay the tank down and rotate the the whole remaining mess to unscrew from the tank. Then reverse the process to connect to the new tank.

There is enough slack in the pex line to allow for this.

Any better solutions?

Attached Images   
Old 06-01-16, 01:19 PM
C
Received 88 Upvotes on 70 Posts
If the ell is solid, I'd cut the straight section to the right of the pump Tee and install a union, But that ell looks like it is either leaking or didn't have the flux cleaned off after installation.

I don't see any PEX?

Are you sure the existing pump tee will fit the new tank? They are not all the same size....

Old 06-01-16, 01:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Great idea to cut the section you mentioned and install a union. Will make the job easier if I ever have to replace a tank again.

The PEX runs up from the red shut-off on the right side.

The new tank has a 1" female inlet. The existing tee looks to be 1", too.

Again, thanks for the suggestion. I figured there was a better way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: