Sump pump spraying water and more questions

Old 06-15-16, 09:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pump spraying water and more questions

I'm having trouble getting a picture to load so I will try to explain this as best as possible. Our sump pump seems to be spraying water when it reaches the bottom of the pump. There is a little hole at the very bottom which is just spraying water but the pump is not turning off, it just keeps running. Is this normal? The pump appears to be smoking as well.

I bought a new sump pump to replace the one that seems to be broken but a few things that seem strange to me. The current pump is sitting on two stone tiles. This has put the top of the sump pump about an inch or half an inch above the incoming water tubes. Is this too high? Is there a reason why the pump shouldn't just be all the way at the bottom of the well?

Finally, as I've been looking I don't see a check valve. The guy at Ace was trying to give me one that was a pretty long (at the time I assumed there was already one on the piping). Can the check valve be as small as some of the couplings I see on the pipes in other places? There is also a strange green hard plastic piece in the middle of the pipe. Could that be my check valve?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I am going to be trying to install the new pump myself tomorrow or this weekend.

Old 06-15-16, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Pictures would be a big help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html
Some check valves are small.

The hole in the pipe at the bottom is to allow the pump to start up. That hole reduces the pressure under the check valve.

If the water is at the bottom of the pit and the pump won't shut off..... that would be a float issue.

Old 06-16-16, 10:44 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Ideally the pump should turn on before the tubes dumping into the pit are completely submerged and should turn off when the pit is nearly empty.

Depending on the shape of the pit and the float vertical range of the pump, this ideal may or may not be achievable.

If the pump fails to shut off, its life can be drastically shortened. To help avoid this problem, it is a good idea to replace the float assembly and switches when they start to act up instead of try to repair those components for a few more weeks or months of usage.

The sump pump will still work without a check valve but more water in the outlet pipe will fall back down into the pit when the pump finishes, resulting in more frequent pump operation that is less desirable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: