Which Check Valve?

Old 07-26-16, 02:02 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which Check Valve?

I'm replacing the sump check valve that I got at Lowe's when I built this home 2 yrs ago which was a Shop ProPlumber Plastic Check Valve at Lowes.com for approx $10.00. It works a few months until I remove it and tap it a few times.

Would you recommend something like this Zoeller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JFF205Y...RBK4X2S1YSPRRF or this Zoeller https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mFSLp8oyflBL5A

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 07-26-16, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The first one is fairly simple and uses gravity. The second one is for Horizontal installation only, so that you are aware.

Old 07-26-16, 02:25 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
What do you mean by you tapped it?
Why was it removed?
I've used that style for many years and never had any issues.

Old 07-26-16, 02:50 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I like the zoeller style, except I use the type that has a built-in ball valve above the check. The ball valves let you close off the line above the check so you can loosen the unions and remove the check for cleaning or remove the pump for service/inspection without all the water in the line above the valve spilling all over everything.

Larry, I've used that style vertically many times; not sure why you say it's only for horizontal use....

Old 07-26-16, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just a wild guess, Paul. Or is that a requisite IF you decide to use it horizontally?

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  39.8 KB

Old 07-26-16, 03:33 PM
O
Hi chandler, and no, I did not see where it was used for horizontal installation only. In fact, check out these specs from their site Cast Iron and Plastic Check Valves - Zoeller Pump Company

Yes, although I know the vertical valve uses gravity, the one I'm currently using appears to get hung up inside - or something - because when it is removed and "exercised" it works for the next few months before allowing water to refill my sump.

BTW, removing and replacing the valve is not a big issue since I've added a PVC union next to the valve. Just curious which brand you might use yourself.

Old 07-26-16, 06:02 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I got confused (not unusual)..My comments were about the first link...but yeah, if you mount the green one horizontally that side has to be up....

Just to be clear, this is they style I like, but prefer the clear ones...

Name:  Check valve3.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  4.6 KB

Old 07-27-16, 02:38 AM
O
I got it, and appreciate your help. Quiet Check - Zoeller Pump Company

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: