Jet pump not building pressure

Old 08-07-16, 08:07 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Jet pump not building pressure

After noticing a leak in the fitting leaving the tee to the pressure tank,I shut my pump off and replaced all fittings on top of the pump. However,now it will not build pressure. The pump and lines appear fully primed,although the water level did go down a little after sitting overnight. The pump pushes water but will not build up. The needle on the gauge flicks a little but will not advance. The pump itself is about 5-6 years old.
Goulds J+ deep well jet pump
Two lines.
1/2 hp
115/230 volt
Pressure switch is a square D model set at 30/50 psi
Pressure tank is Weltrol 120 gallon also charged to 30/50 and there is a shut off valve between the pump and tank that is currently closed.
I would appreciate ant advice given. Thank yo in advance.

Old 08-07-16, 10:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 841 Posts
If the pump worked before you replaced the fittings I suspect it is not primed. It can sometimes take a surprisingly long time to prime especially if you have a leaking check valve. You may need to repeat the process of filling the pump housing with water until it does prime.

A pressure tank cannot be charged 30/50. It can only have one pressure which is checked when the water system is completely bled down. The air in the tank should be 2-3 psi less than the pumps cut in (turn on) pressure so in your case it should be about 28 psi. But, the pressure tank can not stop the pump from working. It's there to help smooth the flow so the pump doesn't quickly cycle on and off but it has no role in making the pump work or not work.

Old 08-08-16, 11:12 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
After priming half the night and most of today,still no pressure. The water level in the pump doesn't seem to move either way,it stays full to the top of the tee. Could the problem be somewhere else or is there just so much air in the lines that it takes forever to work out slowly? I can't detect any noticeable leaks at any place coming into the pump. I just can't pour any more water into the pump,it just overflows. I'm really stumped on this one. I'm fairly knowledgeable as to plumbing,but wells and pumps are a different story altogether. Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

Old 08-08-16, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,531 Votes on 1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We can determine a lot about a system and offer much more detailed help when we can see what you see and what you are dealing with. Posting a few pictures would be really helpful.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc/534445-how-insert-pictures.html

Usually the priming is not as important on a two line system as the one line sends water back down to aid in the start and lift at the jet injector.

Name:  well_jet_dual pipe.JPG
Views: 9122
Size:  27.1 KB

Old 08-08-16, 12:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 841 Posts
At this point I would double check the plumbing work you did. Maybe you hooked the pump up incorrectly. If the pump worked before you replaced the piping the pump should work after if everything is hooked up properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: