Water stinks in bladder pressure tanks

Old 08-10-16, 09:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water stinks in bladder pressure tanks

I currently use 2 - old 120 gallon water pressure tanks, where the air sits on the water in the tank.. A drawback, is if the power goes out, and the pressure drops below 25 pounds, the air comes out, stirring up all the sediment in the lines... I started to replace these tanks with a couple of bladder style tanks, to avoid my well pump continually cutting in.. .. I noticed that unlike the water coming from the 120 gallon tanks, these bladder ones added an awful, almost sewer smell to the water.. I tried setting the pressure so they would empty first.. I didn't help... My water is unchlorinated, and gov. approved pathogen free (public campground).. Why the awful smell? And just from the bladder tanks? Thanks

Old 08-10-16, 10:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I have never had a smell from pressure tanks. They are designed for potable water use so I skeptical it's the tanks. I'm wondering if it's something in your water or some other source could be the problem. Do you still have the old tanks connected to the system?

Old 08-11-16, 10:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The smell you are getting is sulfur.
The only way to remove the gas from water is to open it to air. The the tanks you removed did that.
When you switched to a bladder tank/captive air tank, you stopped that process.
Now the only time the water is exposed to air is when you run water in the house and the water is exposed to air for the first time. Then that is where the sulphur gas is released.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: