Sump pump is humming but not pumping

Old 08-21-16, 05:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump is humming but not pumping

I have a Pro Flo 92333 pedestal sump pump that was installed by my home builder in 2009. From what I see, he did not install a check valve (unless it's down by the base of the pump and I just can't see it. The discharge pipe comes straight up out of the pit to about 7ft high and takes a 90* turn and goes out of the house. There is one joiner about 3 ft above the floor that connects the piece of PVC that connects with the pump at the bottom of the pit and the one that goes up to the elbow before going outside. The pit is about halfway full and the float valve is all the way up in the on position so the pump is running constantly but no water is being pumped out. The motor will go from making a very slight hum to the normal louder hum that it makes when it's actually pumping. The outside discharge pump appears to be bone dry. At this point, I think it has to be that the pump itself has shot craps or I'm told that there is a filter/screen that I can clean. Could someone explain to me how to clean this filter if it does exist or if I would be better off buying a new pump?

Old 08-21-16, 07:02 PM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
Disconnect the rubber coupling. Pull pump out of water and look on the underside to see if it's clogged with paper or mud. Get garbage can full of water and put pump in it. Just bump test to see it pump water. Impeller is most likely not spinning or is worn out so it no longer pumps water.

The easy fix is buy a new pump and try to match the horsepower of the old one. A check valve is not necessary but is advised. You might consider a submersible.

Old 08-22-16, 07:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 910 Votes on 838 Posts
Do not let the pump continue to sit there humming. That will burn the motor out.

Usually there is no filter so it is possible that a piece of debris has gotten into the pump and is jamming the impeller. Unplug the pump and remove it from the pit. Sometimes you can reach in with a screwdriver and turn the impeller or you may need to open up the pump.

Old 08-22-16, 12:43 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I cut the discharge off at the joiner, tried to clean out the impeller the best I could, put it back in the pit, plugged it in and still no movement. I have purchased a coleman cast iron submersible pump (similar to the green zoeller ones) and am gonna roll with that. I'm also adding a check valve. I'm assuming the lack of the check valve may have been part of the culprit in the pedestal unit shooting craps as every time the unit pumped water, about a 7ft length of 1.5 in PVC full of water would drain back into the pit causing the unit to have to work a lot more than it should have....or I could be completely wrong about that. If anybody has any tips on submersibles, let me know. Other than that, wish me luck.

Old 08-22-16, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,526 Votes on 1,409 Posts
No... you are right. The check valve keeps water from needlessly draining back into the pit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: