Air in well line

Old 10-02-16, 11:44 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air in well line

I moved in to my house in February 2016. The well was drilled in. June 2015 along with the pressure tank put in and water and direct burrial Romex to the well.

I've had air in my water since day one. No one lived there until I moved it. I didn't worry about it much cause it got better the more I used it, and I thought some of the slightly leak shutoff valves could be causing it. Anyway, ive replace all the shutoff valves with 1/4 turn ones. Still have the air.

Yesterday I cut off the power to the pump, check the tank and it was fine and not water logged. I let the take empty and refilled it a few times, the first time so sediment came out but after that it was fine (I assume this was actually from the bottom of the tank rather than the well.) The pressure switch cut in and out properly as well.

However I did notice but holding the line coming from the well I could feel the air coming in too. What could be the problem? I don't think it's the well itself as I never have problems getting water and it just doesn't seem low. Would it be something with the pump?

Old 10-02-16, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
When you drained your pressure tank completely did you check to see that the air in side the tank was 2 lbs less than the cut in pressure of the switch? That is imperative. If your switch cuts in at 35 lbs, the tank should be at 33 lbs. I'm just not sure how you are determining there is air in the line. Does air come through the faucets? Does your pump get the tank gauge to full cut out pressure?

Old 10-02-16, 01:39 PM
C
Received 107 Upvotes on 86 Posts
I too am curious as to how you concluded there is air in the line....

Assuming from your description that you have a submersible pump and not a jet pump, one thing that could cause air in the line is if the check valve at the pump has failed. If there are any leaks anywhere in the plumbing, a failed check valve can cause air to be pulled in when the pump shuts off and the water column above it flows backwards through the failed check. This pulls a vacuum on the plumbing and any small leaks can allow air in.

The leak could be tiny and it could even be in the well drop pipe or the underground line.

Old 10-02-16, 02:32 PM
T
You can hear/see the air when it comes out of all faucets in the house, you can hear the it in the pipes, and when the washing machine, toilet etc are drawing water.

Old 10-02-16, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,417 Upvotes on 3,064 Posts
If you have a shutoff valve between the well system and the house..... close it.
After the tank reaches full pressure and the pump shuts off..... turn the power off to the pump.

What does the pressure gauge do ?
If it creeps down.... you more than likely have a foot valve problem down at the pump.

Old 10-02-16, 02:38 PM
T
It is a submersible pump. I did another test today. I let the water run on the outside faucet while I had the well cap off and listened. when it ran I could hear air coming up the PVC drop pipe some. It would also jerk the PVC pipe and bang it against the side of the well casing a bit. Does this sound like it's from the drop pipe having a leak and a bad check valve? And if it's the check valve to the leaks need to be fixed?

I didn't get a chance to check the precharge, I only confirmed it was cutting in about 30psi and cutting out about 50psi as it should.

Also would the original installer fix this stuff, since It's likely been happening since day one just no one was living here? I'm guessing not but didn't know if this work was usually warrantied or not.

Old 10-02-16, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
If the pump was running for a few minutes and you heard air..... then the pump is not deep enough in the pit or the water level is low.

I would definitely check with installer.

Old 10-02-16, 02:56 PM
T
PSI stays the same with the house water lines shutoff and the power to the pump turned off.

I did notice something odd. on the guage though it doesn't slowly go down to 30PSI you use it then all the sudden it goes down to 30PSI pump kicks in and almost instantly it's near 40-45 again and within a few seconds it says it's at 50PSI and cuts out.

I'm going to check with the installers, I think it was this way to begin with and I'm hoping they can at least point me in the right direction without charging me. the writing the left says it's a 625ft well with 1/2HP pump in it. I did notice I can not see the top of the pump, I can see the pipes all the way down and the water level, so I assume the pump is fully under water.

Old 10-02-16, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
The pressure issue you are describing is a problem pressure tank. You are describing an almost no air cushion condition. The pressure changes rapidly since you can't compress water and there is no air there to pressurize.

so I assume the pump is fully under water.
Not really an assumption you can make.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-02-16 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-02-16, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Pete that it seems the tank is faulty. You can see down a 625 foot well?? Or is the water line substantially higher? I have never heard of a bored well going that deep.

Old 10-02-16, 05:45 PM
T
I agree with Pete that it seems the tank is faulty. You can see down a 625 foot well?? Or is the water line substantially higher? I have never heard of a bored well going that deep.
It's a Drilled well, not a bored well. I'm not sure what distance the water level is at but I can see it with a 3,000 Lumen flash light.

Old 10-02-16, 06:32 PM
C
Maybe it's 62.5 feet? 1/2 horse pump would not be able to get out of its own way under 600 feet of head....

Old 10-02-16, 06:54 PM
T
It's defeinetly way more than 62.5ft. County records show the water level was tested at about 500ft. The total depth is 625ft. The depth was marked on the tank and well too. I'm guessing maybe the pump is a 1 1-2hp pump. The writing says it's a 22gpm on the tank and I think it says Grundfos but the sharpie writing is a little smudged for that part.

Last edited by thecreative; 10-02-16 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 07:32 PM
C
Is there a check valve in the supply line near the pressure tank? That would prevent pressure dropping inside even if there's a problem with the pump check valve.

Old 10-02-16, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 79 Upvotes on 71 Posts
goes down to 30PSI pump kicks in and almost instantly it's near 40-45 again and within a few seconds it says it's at 50PSI and cuts out
The pressure issue you are describing is a problem pressure tank. You are describing an almost no air cushion condition. The pressure changes rapidly since you can't compress water and there is no air there to pressurize.
Yup... Its the tank.. I had the same issue and just changed mine last week. It was a slow leak and I was able to fill it with air to get me an additional week before I replaced...

Pump would go from 40 psi to 60 psi in 2 seconds...

Old 10-02-16, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
it's a 625ft well with 1/2HP pump in it.
I missed that. The pump MUST be bigger than 1/2hp to lift that high.
I'm wondering why the well is so deep if you can actually see the water level.

Old 10-03-16, 04:38 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Agree, pressure problems sound like the tank. If the air in the lines continues, another thing to check is the pitless adapter at the well, where the pump drop pipe connects. I had one that leaked and allowed air into the line. You could look down the well with a flashlight and see if water is leaking at the pitless- look both when pump is on and when it's off. Steve

Old 10-05-16, 12:13 PM
T
I'm wondering why the well is so deep if you can actually see the water level.
I talked to them today. Still wanting for the installers to come out and fix it though. But from talking to them they believe it's just a failed tank, and because it isn't holding pressure the water could be getting back down the well somehow (through a microscopic leak that usually wouldn't matter etc). allowing air into the system each time.

Also in regards to the depth they said that is beside it's in my back yard just before it goes down some step grade on the edge of the national forest. It's to prevent it from running dry in a drought season as they surface water will run down to grade so they wanted to make sure it gets low enough to be at the lower grade's water table. Dunno much about it other than that's what they said.

Old 10-28-16, 03:34 PM
T
Just an update the guy the previous owners had install it never showed. But I checked the pressure tank this evening.. the bladder had 50PSI of air in it, the switch is 30-50psi.. That's why it cycles so odd I guess. I have ran it a bit since then (I put it around 27ish psi) and haven't had any air in the lines. Would that cause the problems? seems like it did.

Old 10-29-16, 04:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,763 Upvotes on 1,576 Posts
It will cause problems but shouldn't introduce air into the lines. If the air in the pressure tank is a higher pressure than your water pressure then the pressure tank doesn't do anything and the system acts like there is no pressure tank.

Old 10-31-16, 07:05 AM
L
I reason the water level is so high is that the well was drilled into an artesian aquifer. The hydrostatic pressure of the confined aquifer pushes the water up a column until equilibrium. The water is not a flowing well because the pressure is not great enough to exceed ground level where the well is located.

Old 11-08-17, 08:33 AM
T
Just to give an update it was not air in the well but Methane gas due to the well being near/on coal seams. We're still working on fully gitting rid of it (or rather making the Methane break down into Sulfate and Sulfate) and removing any smells. The next step is trying a KDF85+GAC Filter, the other filters using backwash cycles etc just haven't worked very well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: