Low pressure from well

Old 10-12-16, 08:35 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low pressure from well

Please note, this is not a typical "low pressure" situation. We had a well drilled and all new tank, submersible pump and pressure switch installed back in June, and I just got around to permanently connecting it to the house today. The pump house is about 25 feet lower in elevation than the house, and the line is about 320 feet long. The pressure gauge shows that we have good pressure at the tank; it comes on at 50 and shuts off at 70. Once it gets to the house, however, I have low pressure/flow throughout the house, inside and out.(I don't know the pressure, but I can stop it completely using my thumb over a hose) At the same time I connected the well to the house, I also installed a water softener in the pump house. I also have a regular 5/8" garden hose running unsoftened water to the house for watering lawns and such, and the pressure/flow on it is great. For the house connection, I ran 1" PEX, and tied in to the existing 1" Poly line that feeds the house. I turned off the municipal water at the meter, relieved the pressure in the lines, and then cut the line that feeds to the house from the municipal meter, and tied in there. Before I tied it in to the existing line, I checked the pressure from the well, and I couldn't begin to stop it with my thumb. Now I can literally hold my thumb over the outdoor faucets and stop the flow. Also, before I got it permanently connected, we lost water from the municipal water. I temporarily connected the well to the house, through an outside hose connection(we didn't drink/bathe in it), and the pressure was great then, too.

Why did the pressure and flow drop, just by being connected to the house? What did I do wrong?

Yes, I know, I now have softened water going to the outside hose faucets, but we're not using them. We use the separate hose that comes up from the pump house. I know this is not an ideal situation, but the house is on a slab foundation, and there is only one water connection for the whole house, and I don't see a softener loop anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-16, 01:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,186 Votes on 1,098 Posts
So you have water pressure of +/- 70psi at the pump house but 320' in the house you do not. If you connected the 1" water line directly to the house where the city water was..... it would appear that the 320' supply line is crushed or kinked.

You should purchase an inexpensive pressure gauge to see what the house builds up to. If you allow the pressure to stabilize and it's 70psi.... allow water to flow and see how fast it drops and to what psi. Now close the valve and see how long it takes to repressurize. If it comes back up slowly.... I'd suspect a problem in the 320' water line.

3/4 in. Plastic Water Pressure Test Gauge- The Home Depot

Old 10-13-16, 03:47 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK, who has the dunce cap? My turn to wear it!

Well, now I feel pretty silly. It would seem that Murphy has a sense of humor, albeit a demented one. My wife woke me up this morning while she was getting ready for work, and tells me she hears water running somewhere. Being hard of hearing, I stuck my ear to the bathtub faucet, and sure enough, I could hear water running somewhere, lots of it. Hindsight being 20/20, I know now that I should have figured it our earlier. At the same time I was working on the install yesterday morning, the cable guy shows up to bury their new line. Yup, you guessed it, they hit a line. We have a guest house, and whoever built it ran a line from the main house to feed the guest house. I really didn't think about the cable guy, because he said he was only going 3-4 inches down, and I figured a water line would have to be deeper than that. Wrong! It's between 4 and 6. I'm shocked that it hasn't frozen up in the 6 years we've lived here. When I checked the pressure yesterday, I had purposely had one of my kids turn on a faucet, so I could make sure the pump turned on and off like it should. I just attributed the falling pressure to that, never suspecting a leak. So anyway, I turned off the supply to the guest house, and presto! Great flow and pressure. I feel kinda silly, but at least it's figured out.

Thanks, PJMAX for your quick reply! I'm definitely going to invest in a meter.