Excessive groundwater from well?

Old 12-11-16, 09:14 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Excessive groundwater from well?

Had an irrigation well put in 6 months ago to help us lower our sprinkler and pool usage.
It was the rainy season but during a dry spell we noticed around back and the side of house are continually soaked/muddy. Can't get any lawnwork done back there without damaging the sod.
We also just had our gutters buried and ran all the way off property.
We are investigating pool leak possibilities but I think the problem is bigger. Ground is saturated upgrade from pool on side of house also.
Question is can a well (145' depth) develop a leak underground and soak a large area over enough time? Any recommendations on how to diagnose our problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-16, 10:01 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sure it's possible for a leak in the piping from the well to soak the ground, but the pump would have to be running often. Can you tell if the pump is running frequently or is it shut off?

I have heard of rare instances where a drilled well hits an underground spring that can cause surface water without the pump running, but that would be very rare and the area around the well head would likely be soaking.

Is your drinking water source another well or city water? Certainly possible for water line from city to spring a leak too, and it wouldn't show on your meter unless you have a curbside meter.

Old 12-11-16, 10:33 AM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
In our corner of the sub we all have flowing wells, two neighbors have ponds that the excess water flows into, mine has a drain to the creek.

If the drain was not there I'd have a muddy mess around the well outlet.