Well pump hesitation

Old 03-10-17, 01:22 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well pump hesitation

Need some help please. I recently installed a new pressure tank, 30/50 switch and pressure gauge. Everything works fine except when running a faucet and pressure drops to the 30, just before pump kicks on, the pressure drops to 20 for a split second. When pump kicks on, pressure goes right up to 50 again. I did not have this symptom before tank was replaced. Not really a big deal but it is annoying. I have tried adjusting air pressure in tank to 28 but it still does it.

Old 03-10-17, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Make sure when you set the air pressure in the tank that the system is at 0 psi.

Also.... you need to check the small tube that connects the pressure switch to the system.
It is very likely that tube is plugged with sediment or rust.

Here's what's happening.... your tank is only pressurizing the water down to 28psi so as soon as the water pressure hits that point there is no more air charge, the water pressure drops rapidly and your pump is delayed in coming on.

Old 03-10-17, 02:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
I'm with Pjmax. He mentioned two things that can cause the symptom you mention.

Since the problem started when you replaced the pressure thank I'd check the air pressure first. The air in the pressure tank must be 2-3 psi less than the pumps turn on pressure. If the pressure in the tank is higher it can cause a reversal of flow in/out of the pressure tank that can cause the pressure to drop for a fraction of a second. As a quick test you can press the schrader air valve on your pressure tank and let some air out and see if the problem goes away.

Sediment in the pipe nipple that connects the pressure switch to your plumbing must be clear. If it's clogged it can cause the pump to lag behind and be slow to turn on. This problem usually occurs on the low pressure side and gradually gets worse with time so if you were having the delay before you replaced the tank I'd suspect a clogged pipe nipple.

Old 03-12-17, 11:57 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update:
Emptied tank of water and the bladder of air. Removed pressure switch and found it free of debris. Replaced switch and filled bladder with 28 psi. Pressure still fell off to 20psi before pump engaged. I did however notice pump was cutting off at around 46 psi, so I tightened the center adjustment to move range to 30-50 psi and it now works like it's suppose to. Thanks for the help and this is a great forum...

Old 03-12-17, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
You're welcome.

Not the pressure switch itself...... the usually steel connecting pipe.
You just replaced the switch so it will be clean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: