Can I do my own septic field and tank in Mi?

Old 05-21-17, 10:35 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I do my own septic field and tank in Mi?

If I'm the general contractor for my work can I perform the tasks of my septic field and tank?

Old 05-21-17, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Septic systems are highly regulated with the permits generally going thru the health dept. You'd need to find out if your local jurisdiction will allow a homeowner to do the work or if it needs to be done by a licensed septic system contractor.

Old 05-21-17, 11:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
During the "boom" you couldn't get anyone to change a lightbulb, much less dig a leach field, so the wife of one of our Doctors was busy GC'ing the building of their house and couldn't get anyone to do the septic. They owned all the equipment to do it with. So she goes to Atlanta and becomes certified in septic installation by the Health Department. Did it herself. She weighs in at about 90 lbs so it was a hoot seeing her handle the backhoe

As Marksr says, it is highly technical and you must be certified by the State Health Department in most cases.

Old 05-21-17, 03:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
What type of system are you installing? You may find it difficult to get approval to do your own traditional system but you might do an end run with with a chamber (Infiltrator) or EZ Flow type system. You might find it easier to become a certified installer for one of the non-traditional systems. Once you have the certification from the manufacturer local approval is much easier.

Old 05-21-17, 04:00 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As a Real Estate Broker, I find the biggest hurdle is to get the property to pass a percolation test BEFORE you buy it.

I once sold a 140 acre parcel which wasn't perc'd before purchase and then the Buyers couldn't find but three(3) spots where a Leach Field could be installed . . . . and none of them were in desirable building sites.

But that was still better than NO potential sites.

This is called the Green Mountain State because the water table is so high.

Old 05-21-17, 07:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have county approval for a 30 foot wide and 50 foot long 3 trench field with 1000 gallon tank.
My biggest concern if allowed is correct fall from the house to the tank. My tank to drain field is slightly downhill about a 3% grade fall.

Old 05-21-17, 07:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
County approval is one thing. Having the certification to do the required job is something else.

Old 05-22-17, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Yes, having soil conditions acceptable for a septic system and getting county approval for the installation of a system is one thing. A totally separate issue is being approved to install that system. A approved, experienced installer would not be concerned about fall from the house to the tank as that is easy to achieve. More critical is maintaining the proper elevations (fall where needed and flat where it's not) when installing the leach field and it's distribution lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: