Shallow well pump problems

Old 06-01-17, 06:53 AM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shallow well pump problems

We have been having issues with our shallow well pump. It began getting weaker and weaker until it finally stopped all together. When it first stopped working we thought the points or pressure switch was bad so we replaced that and found that it didn't help. So, we had to dig up the wire that supplied the power and found that it was loose. My dad had taken two wires and put them together and they burned apart. I reconnected those wires and found that the pump was still barely pumping. I know that we need to get somebody to put down a new wire but could that be why it's running so slowly?

Another thing. When I touch the pump it's very hot and we have been having issues with red clay mixing with the cold water. I have to also consider the strainer. It's probably clogged up because of the red clay. But ultimately, I think the problem is the wire. I have a multimeter but I'm not sure which setting to use to check and see how much power the pump is getting. How much power should this pump be getting? And do I touch the screws with the positive and negative testers?

Name:  IMG_20170601_081912.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  35.9 KB
Name:  IMG_20170601_082442.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  48.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20170601_082532.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  49.5 KB
Name:  IMG_20170601_082542.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  49.7 KB

Old 06-01-17, 07:48 AM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I once had a similar pump whose impeller got so loaded with debris that the pump overheated before it could satisfy the pressure requirement to shut it off.

You might be able to just expose the impeller (probably plastic/nylon) and clean it out.

Also, sometimes the carbon brushes get worn irregularly, and while some might be making contact with the commutator, not all are, so that the pump isn't running on full power. Brushes are probably replaceable at a fully equipped hardware store.

Why is that pump outside ?

Old 06-01-17, 09:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Start off by clarifying if you have a motor or a pump problem. You spent much time talking about the pressure switch and wiring so that makes me think the motor is not turning. Is that correct? Or, is the motor running but you are getting little output from the well?

I have had impellers wear out. The motor runs but the impeller that moves the water gradually looses efficiency. The pump takes longer to prime and it generates less pressure and volume. It's made worse by dirty water as the tiny particles erode the impeller.

Old 06-01-17, 05:52 PM
S
The pump has always been on the outside but shielded from the rain and weather. That's just the way my parents had it setup. The motor is running but I am getting little output from the well.

I adjusted the pressure on the springs and saw a moderate improvement with the water pressure. I can work with this for now until I get a chance to check the strainer.

Name:  Bigger.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  43.4 KB

Old 06-02-17, 06:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Adjusting the pressure switch higher really has nothing to do with the pump. Even if your pump is worn out the pressure switch will keep it running until it gets up to pressure. Turning up the pressures only means more strain on your already weak pump and you'll probably find that the motor gets even hotter.

Old 06-02-17, 09:13 AM
S
True. We were considering getting a new pump anyways. The sooner this one croaks, the sooner we will replace it.

Old 06-02-17, 09:23 AM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Salzo
". . . We were considering getting a new pump anyways . . ."
But it may be just a clogged Impeller . . . . or worn Brushes.

If the former, a new pump will encounter the same clay or whatever you find is in the vanes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: