Sump pump cycles

Old 06-07-17, 12:29 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump cycles

My basement sump pump was continually cycling on/off. I unplugged it and left it over night. Next day the catch basin was filled and plugged it back in. It would run for a few seconds then shut off for a few seconds until the water was emptied. It would not run again until the water level was high enough to activate the switch. I left it plugged in. At some point during the night it was cycling. It sounded like all the water was out but the pump was still running. I unplugged it again. Today it was the same as before when plugged back in; cycled until empty with the exception that when the pit was empty the motor ran for maybe 10 seconds then went back to run for a few seconds than off for a few. This time it wouldn't stay off.

I disconnected the sump pump and brought it out of the pit. I plugged in the sump pump and it kept cycling. I unplugged the motor from the float switch and plugged the motor directly into the outlet. The motor started to cycle on for a few seconds, off for a few seconds.

Any idea what would cause this? Is there a fix or do I need to replace the whole sump pump?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-17, 01:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 536 Votes on 493 Posts
Since the motor/pump is cycling on and off even with the float switch taken out of the loop I'd say the pump might be bad. Many motors have a thermal overload that will turn the motor off when it overheats. Once it cools a bit it allows the pump to run again...