25+ year old sump. Float switch is intermittent. Replace? Repair? Work around?

Old 07-17-17, 10:40 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
25+ year old sump. Float switch is intermittent. Replace? Repair? Work around?

I have a sump pump jury rigged in a garbage can to pump water from a water softener into the sewer line that is on other end of basement. This used to be the pump for the house sump. I replaced that and repurposed this pump.

It's been working fine for years.

Recently, the garbage can overflowed. I reached into the water and the float was up. I pushed it down, it came back up and the pump started.

Stood by it the next time softener regenerated. Worked fine. I jiggled the float up down a few times and it worked every time float went up.

a couple weeks later, same thing. It worked a few times in the regenerate process, then stopped. Push down on float, it goes back up and works.

Do you replace the switch? The case is rusted over very evenly. What's the odds of getting a good seal after replacing it?!

I have a float on the end of a cord -

Everbilt Tethered Float Switch with Piggyback Plug-TFS13D1610P1 - The Home Depot

I was thinking I could tie warp the pump's float in the up position and then let this cord be the swich? But then is the internal switch of the sump failing and even in the up position all the time, will it stay on?!

Anyone know what that white knob is? It lines up with that bar, that guards the float, but it actually sticks out on the side of the pump.

THANKS!

Name:  2017-07-17 12.57.29.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  33.7 KB

Old 07-17-17, 08:44 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I reached into the water and the float was up
are you sure that it was up 100%? If it happens again, don't push the float down. Try to pull it up a little more.

Old 07-18-17, 09:07 AM
B
thanks.. but what woudl that tell you : )

The water was at the top of the 40 gallon trash can - a couple feet over the float twice now. nothing obstructing the movvement of the float or float arm. I cleaned out the rust around the arm going into the body. so whether the float didn't go up all the way or went up all the way and contacts inside didn't engage.... it's a problem inside the rusted body... what would you do then?

Old 07-18-17, 09:24 AM
S
nothing obstructing the movvement of the float or float arm.
Nothing that you can see but there maybe something inside the mechanism that isn't working properly. Pulling the float upwards would tell you exactly that.

Old 07-18-17, 09:33 AM
B
right. I think I got that idea - yeah, mechanical - dust / rust inside. or arc'd over contacts. think I can open the rusted over pump hopefully remove the dust / rust or clean (replace?) the contacts AND be able to seal it back up? Or all that rust will keep it from getting a good seal?

Old 07-18-17, 10:32 AM
S
Yes, that's the idea. However, it's a crap shoot as to whether you can open it & reseal it. Maybe there is enough space where the arm enters where you can spray some white grease in there or whatever you have laying around the house.

Old 07-18-17, 10:42 AM
B
Thanks! I hate intermittent problems.

Old 07-18-17, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
The float switch is shot. It can no longer be relied upon. Even tying the float in the on position is no guarantee that the pump will work.

With a pump that age getting it apart and sealed will be difficult.

Hate to say it but I think I'd give that old pump a sendoff and replace it.

Old 07-18-17, 05:47 PM
A
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
The old switch and float assembly needs constant attention and is a source of worry and anxiety. Replace it.

An old still reliable pump with a built in worn out switch and float assembly can be retrofitted with a new stand alone float and switch assembly if you wish.

Old 07-18-17, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Yes..... but you need to open the pump to bypass the old switch and then reseal it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: