Well system: does this seem right ?

Old 07-22-17, 05:29 PM
J
JOB
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well system: does this seem right ?

Hello I have a 21 year old home that lost water at 4:00 am this morning, the water failed a day before while I was filling the pool after one hour running, stopped then started up again.

I have no water, the circuit braker was off at 4:00 a.m and when I turned it back on it would later trip again.

My well is 340 feet deep I measured the water in the casing and I have 229 feet of water in a 6 inch pipe.

I have a Myers pump 230 volts 1 hp 8gpm, I priced the assembly online and it was apx $775,00 (using the part #).

I called two contractors, one who installed the orginal pump and a second recommended by a friend.

The orginal installler qouted $2100 to $2500 to replace the pump assy ($400.00 difference) based on replacing the wiring. Why would I want the wiring replced if it was not obviously damaged?

The 2nd contractor qoute a worst case scenario of $3500 to $4000 based on examination

I'm ok for paying for professional work versus an off the books job, but does this seem right ? FYI I live in upstate NY

Look foward to you input.
Thanks
JOB

Old 07-22-17, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It looks to me like he's quoting $2500 in case the wiring needs to be replaced.

How old is the current setup ?

I turned it back on it would later trip again.
How long is later ?

If it trips right away..... it's a short. Either the pump or the wiring.
If it trips hours later it could a pump starting problem.

If it's a three wire pump then there is a starting box up top.
If it's a two wire pump then it is self contained.

I don't get involved in the installation or removal of submersible so I can't comment on the overall price. I do know it's fairly labor intensive at that depth.

Old 07-23-17, 12:43 PM
J
JOB
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pjmax thanks for the reply, the current defective pump assy is 21 years old.

After resetting the circuit braker @ 4:00 a.m. I checked it about two hour later when I got up, the braker had tripped sometime in between.

The pump is two wires.

Later
JOB

Old 07-23-17, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Then the pump is completely self contained and would need to be removed for inspection.

The current draw could be checked with a current probe to aid in diagnosis but at that age it sounds like it needs to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: