How to remove slab over sump pump

Old 07-23-17, 03:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We live in an area northeast of Pittsburgh (Indiana, PA) that was hit by 5-8 inches of rain in three hours on June 22. We have never have had water in our basement, but we did that day and the next -- guessing around one inch -- while we were on vacation. Before we moved in 17 years ago, we were told that we have a radon system and a sump pump. The sump pump is below the basement foundation level and evidently was covered with a concrete slab and sealed because of the radon system. I have never seem the sump pump and although I thought I hear it run at various times, now I'm thinking that might have been the radon system dealing with the water at times below the foundation. The sump pump may possibly be the original and probably was never replaced (which is what I want to do now).

I have a few questions. Would anyone know how to remove that slab? It seems to be sealed by concrete in just one corner, and by some kind of putty-colored flexible sealant around 85% around the square slab? I'm presuming that maybe I can just chisel away at the concrete and sealant and go from there?

The other question is -- where might I find information about my sump pump and overall sewer system for the home? Might this kind of information be located in the township offices -- or am I out of luck (I have no paperwork that was given to me when we purchased the home).

Any guidance or advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks -- DennisName:  IMG_2021.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  23.3 KBName:  sump-pump-slab.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  42.7 KB

Old 07-23-17, 04:10 PM
Received 495 Votes on 459 Posts
That is an interesting set up, kind of looks like the covers on my septic tank. They are tapered inward and sealed with concrete every time it;s opened for pumping.

I would suggest a stiff putty knife to work out the caulk/cement, get it open and lets see what you have.

Unlikely any municipality would have specific details, give us a picture and lets figure it out!

Old 07-25-17, 08:39 AM
D

Thank you Marq1
My wife told me yesterday that she had seen the pit shortly after we moved in and that she did not recall anything being in it other than gravel at the bottom. So I looked through all our papers from the sale of the house and in two separate instances it's there is no check mark next to "Sump Pump." So now I'm wondering if 1) the pit below the slab was put there when the house was built in the event the owner wanted to add a sump pump or 2) if the radon mitigation company would have needed to add the pit for purposes of the radon system working. I removed the flexible seal and am still chiseling out the concrete seal below that. I'm now wondering if I should just leave it alone and reseal it. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again. Dennis

Old 07-26-17, 08:38 AM
H
Received 161 Votes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by dragan322
1) the pit below the slab was put there when the house was built in the event the owner wanted to add a sump pump or
2) if the radon mitigation company would have needed to add the pit for purposes of the radon system working.
I'll go with Yes to #1, No to #2.

The builder left a square hole for installing a sump pump.
The radon company plugged the hole so the radon remediation had an airtight slab.

Old 07-26-17, 09:48 AM
Received 495 Votes on 459 Posts
I guess the question is why do you want in the pit.

Are you wanting to confirm that a pump exists or do you want to add one due to rain?

Most Radon systems that I have seen basically have a small blower attached to the sump pit which sucks out the gas to the outside. Again, confirming that it is in operation?

Old 07-28-17, 03:37 PM
D
Thanks All. Much appreciative for the input! I am now pretty much convinced also that there is no pump in that pit. I see no indication that there is one there. No electrical connections. No fuses marked as such in the fuse box, and no pipes coming out anywhere unless they are all underground.

The pit WAS sealed -- but probably by the construction company that finished our basement 17 years ago (although the owner just told me yesterday that his memory doesn't go back that far, so he has no idea). The radon mitigation company said they might have also, but my wife swears she was able to remove the lid or slab and look into the pit when we moved here -- and feels pretty certain there was nothing in it (the radon system was put in two years before we arrived.

So, when we moved, the basement was completely unfinished. We did finish it and there's now an extra bedroom in the area where the sealed pit is. I think that the carpenter who worked on that room probably felt the safe thing to do since that room would be a living area, would have been to be sure to seal that slab.

I called a waterproofing company a few days ago for their opinion and they want to come out and check out the situation. I told them I was unlikely to put a sump pump in because if this kind of water problem happens once every 17 years, I'm pretty sure I won't be in this house by then. They're coming anyway. Maybe I'll learn something.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: