New pressure tank not working

Old 08-25-17, 02:58 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
New pressure tank not working

20 yr old pressure tank started recycling frequently but no issues with water pressure or anything else. Had tanked changed...24 hrs later, no water, no pressure. Flipped little lever ..pressure up...called plumber back ( in 3 yrs we owned house never knew there was lever, never had to do before)...5 days later power outage (frequent occurrence here)....no pressure after power on...flip lever again..what's the problem??

Old 08-25-17, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Almost sounds like you lost prime to well. Need more info. Is this a submerged well pump or above ground? Are you getting any water at all?

Old 08-25-17, 04:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
What type of well pump do you have? Is the pump submerged down in the well or is it above ground?

I would also check the pipe nipple that connects your pressure switch to the water pipe. This sometimes can become clogged with sediment and prevents the switch from reading your water pressure. It usually causes trouble on the low end so the switch does not turn on.

Old 08-25-17, 06:03 AM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
also possible that there is too much air in your pressure tank. It should be around 3 psi below the cut in pressure of your pressure switch, when no water is in the tank.

I assume the lever you had to flip was the low pressure cut off switch for your pump. If there is too much air pressure in your tank, that compressed air will push ALL the water out of the tank and you can get a quick drop to zero pressure, since a pressure tank cannot exert pressure when no water is in the tank. When you have a low pressure safety switch on your pump this can force a manual turn on to get it going again.

Easy fix. Just remove air from the Schrader valve at the top of the tank. I would confirm this condition by measuring the air pressure first. Any measurements need to be done with no water in the tank and preferably a tap left open.

Old 08-25-17, 10:31 AM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thank you....I don't think the issue is with well...it's a welmate pressure tank in basement...water volume & all was fine but I could hear pump cycling more frequently so had it replaced cause figured diAphram leaking. I guess main ? Is why water pressure dropped to zero with power outage...we've had many outages since we purchased home 3 yrs ago & no problem till pressure tank changed

Old 08-25-17, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The pressure can only go down to 0 psi if the water leaks out. It's more than likely leaking back down into the well. You could check for sure by closing the valve that supplies the house, turn off the pump and watch the gauge.

Hard to say why it just started happening. It certainly isn't the fault of the tank.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: