How to replace broken well cap?

Old 09-28-17, 07:34 PM
How to replace broken well cap?

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well and finishing projects before winter. I have a quick well cap question that I’m hoping to get any tips and advice on.

My house has a drilled well that protrudes about 2 feet above ground. The plastic conduit that leads to the well cap must have sunk over the years with ground movement and it is now pulling down and ripping the plastic well cap off. The cap itself is partially broken and won’t hold much longer.

For reference, here’s the cap on their now: https://www.amazon.com/Campbell-WTC6...dp/B001RHX0LQ/

And here’s the replacement cap I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Well-Cap-Wtr-...dp/B002WJYCE2/

From my own research, it sounds like the process is: unbolt the old broken cap, cut the pump wires, install new cap, then reconnect the wires again.

Am I correct in thinking it’s that simple, or are there more steps? Also, is it all possible not to cut the wires? That’s the part I’m least comfortable about.

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-17, 05:41 AM
well

Often the wiring is spliced at the top of the well casing using wire nuts stuffed down into the casing. Wire in well is usually solid, wire into house is usually stranded. Good luck, Steve

Old 09-29-17, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by sdodder View Post
Often the wiring is spliced at the top of the well casing using wire nuts stuffed down into the casing. Wire in well is usually solid, wire into house is usually stranded. Good luck, Steve
Interesting, that's good to know I might not need to cut wires. Because the cap is so broken, I'm trying to gather all the info I can first because it won't get back together, that's for sure. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-19-19, 07:53 PM
I'm curious how this turned out because I'm about to do the exact same thing on my artesian well in MN.

Old 05-20-19, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Replacing a well cap is straightforward. There will be some hard work but it's technically pretty simple. It's just a matter of swapping it out for the old one. If your well string has a rope attached make sure you tie it off to something that can't fit down the wall. You absolutely do NOT want to drop the well string down the hole.

Learn how to tie a Prusic knot. With it you can pull your well string up a bit then use a rope with a Prusic knot to hold it in place while you change the cap. Then just lower everything back into place.