1 HP well Pump H. Freight, help

Old 10-03-17, 07:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 1 HP well Pump H. Freight, help

i just bought Green, 1 HP well pump from H.Freight to replace old one which was routed after the water filters on a Above ground water tank gravity fed. Old one worked very well with 12 volt RV water pump on pressure tank for 5 years. REASON for replacing is now I have 110 volt power and need more pressure for different outlets:.. I changed the routing line directly from water tank outlet gravity fed with screen to NEW Pump/Tank and then into the 2 water filters and out to house lines. The pump keeps cycling on and off every 5-10 seconds. I notice the pressure gauge dropping rapidly until it gets to around 28 PSI then cycles back on until it gets to 50 psi, then turns off and as the pressure drops it turns back on again every 5-10 secs. H.Frieght tech support is awful and they are NOT qualified to help, waste of 30 mins 20 of it on hold. Any help much appreciated.

Attached Images   
Old 10-04-17, 12:26 AM
Question

I feel as if there is air getting into the line. Maybe the air tube which is on the same tube for gravity flow.
Maybe the metal flex tubes I had laying around from water softener tank.
I read the the suction inlet side is the most important part of the setup.

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-17, 07:08 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
I’m no well guy or pump expert for sure, but I thought you should be lifting water with that new pump and tank – not using gravity feed. Seems like the pump would be operating way out of bounds. Could be wrong for sure. Maybe a well guy will weigh in.

Old 10-06-17, 08:17 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Does your new configuration include a foot valve or back-flow preventer to hold the cut-out pressure once you've achieved it ?

Old 10-06-17, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Vermont hit the problem on the head. You need a check valve between the pump and the tank to only allow flow out of the tank.

Old 10-06-17, 01:05 PM
no, I was thinking that after researching. Okay I'll buy a 3/4" check valve and install it. The pump does work with lots of pressure. But you can hear that it is sucking air. Thanks

Old 10-06-17, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The check valve keeps the pressure tank, pressure switch and the house at charged pressure but it won't help the pump sucking in air. Air being sucked into the pump is caused by a leak.

With that size pump.... 3/4" would appear to be a little on the small size as it would restrict the input to the pump greatly. I would think the size of the line connecting the pump to the tank would be determined by the inlet size of the pump.

Old 10-06-17, 04:42 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Well I typed the stuff below which apparently is off target (I just saw the last 2 posts after I typed this), but I’ll post it anyway.

Oh wow, that explanation seems like it sure fits very well. If I understand, one pump-on-tank unit was replaced with another pump-on-tank unit, but the new unit was moved upstream of the water filters, that is, the new unit was moved to a point directly after the output of the above ground water tank supply.

So if there was an existing check valve that was upstream of the water filters, that is, after the above ground supply tank but before the water filters, and the new pump/tank combo unit was incorrectly installed upstream of that check valve instead of after that check valve, then it seems to me that would cause the problem just as Vermont suspects.

Maybe it’s just a matter of moving a check valve. Guess aztecaa needs to respond.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: