Need help with well issues

Old 10-05-17, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with well issues

The previous pump would never rise to cut out pressure (20-40psi) despite having a flowing artesian well with a constant natural flow pressure at top of well at a 10-15psi.
So I decided to replace a majority of the well system.
Pulled pump, pressure tank, hoses, and existing double pipe that descended into well all the way down to the foot valve.

It was replaced down to 70ft (roughly 8-10ft from bottom of well) starting with a new foot valve into a deep well Venturi feeding new one 1 1/4" and one 1" pipe up to ground level as directions implied. Fed directly into new 1hp jet pump feeding directly into new pressure tank.

Made sure empty tank pressure was 2psi below cut in pressure, (30-50psi) primed pump multiple times.

Now the problem, the system will now bring water up to 50psi, but as soon as it's reached, the pump will shut off (as it should) but as soon as it shuts off, the pressure immediately drops down to 30ish...and pump immediately kicks back on. This cycle will continue till I shut off the breaker.

Please help...

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-17, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That is usually indicative of a leaking footvalve allowing the water to drain back out of the system. If you have a valve there that cuts the house off..... close it and see if you still have the problem.

We need to find out where the water is going,

Old 10-06-17, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
I agree that it sounds like a leak. The foot valve is the most likely culprit but it could be any kind of leak.

Old 10-07-17, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree that it sounds like a leak, but I just put a new foot valve on. And if the foot valve was the problem, wouldn't I lose all my pressure? BC after I shut the breaker off, I probably have enough pressure in the house for a 5 minute shower.

I did try try closing the ball valve whole the pump was on, but the pressure drops because of loss of input. I will try to do it while someone shuts the breaker off for me.

Old 10-07-17, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
If the pressure still drops with the house valve closed then it's not a problem from there to the house.

It may not be a leaking foot valve but it could be in one of the lines. Did you use solid poly or PVC pipes ?