Can I dial in my 30 to 50 pressure to 40 to 60 without issue?

Old 10-10-17, 06:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I dial in my 30 to 50 pressure to 40 to 60 without issue?

Hello,

I have low water pressure in a new home I moved into, evidently the well was "serviced" prior to purchase and the report states: pump is 1/2 horsepower and 10 gallon per minute flow rate, contractor said that the only way to have more flow would be to install a larger pump or tank,

My Tank says the pump is a Franklin Electric 2445059004

I noticed I have a 30/50 pressure switch and on my old smaller unit from my previous home i had a 40/60, I know I can tweak the screws to adjust the cut in and cut out....would this help in any way and would it create and issues if i do so?

Thank you

Old 10-11-17, 03:15 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 7racecar7
". . . .would this help in any way and would it create and issues if i do so? . . ."
I have tinkered with the regular Square D Pressure Switches and moved the control points as much as 5 or 6 lbs; but I don't think you can change a 30/50 to a 40/60 because the springs are of different strength.

My recollection was that the little adjustment nut fell off long before I obtained a change of 7 or 8 pounds.

Other manufacturers may accommodate greater changes in the cut-in and cut-out points; I don't know. If Square D units could address such major alterations, then they wouldn't have to market separate Models pre-set at 20/40, 30/50 and 40/60 . . . . it's not just the settings; but the resistance of the springs that are used in each version.

I would plan on making adjustments of no more than +/- 5 PSI and buy the next size up if that proves unsatisfactory.

I have a ½ HP Pump and it has no problem achieving 60 PSI on the 2nd Floor; but I had a ⅓ HP Pump that couldn't quite make it.

Also, iwould watch your piping carefully and if it's older galvanized or black pipe, consider the possibility that it won't withstand the higher pressures.

Anyway, that's what I think..

Old 10-11-17, 05:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If you change the cut in pressure don't forget that you also have to adjust the air pressure in the pressure tank.

Old 10-12-17, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If you look up the exact model of your pressure switch there will be info out there that will tell you what the operating range of your pressure switch is.
Most adjustable pressure switches have a range and differential adjustment and you need to read the adjustment instructions to help you set the pressure.

As suggested it is possible that the pump could be overloaded by raising the pressure.
The proper way to do this is to raise the pressure then check the motor amperage with a clamp on ammeter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: