Metal pipe broke off in pump

Old 02-01-18, 08:42 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal pipe broke off in pump

I have a deep well jet pump that's been out of service for a while due to a ruptured capacitor and a broken stationary switch. After getting the pump running again, it needed a new pressure tank before being put to use. I bought a Cycle Stop Valve (Pside-Kick kit with tank) to prevent the capacitor from overheating again which will be used instead of the OEM pressure regulator. After trying to unscrew the pressure regulator with a 4' cheater bar to no avail, I tried hammering one edge of the body to break it free, but it just snapped off.

This is the pump I have. http://www.sta-rite.com/ResidentialP...ws_jt_MSD.aspx
This is the broken piece. It's 1" NPT and is pictured with a #8 bolt extractor in it.
Spoiler

I've tried PB Blaster penetrant, heating it with the only torch I have (tiny butane VersaTip), cooling it with CRC Freeze-Off (also a penetrant), hammering the end of a pipe wrench, using an impact drill that's supposed to be good for 345 ft. lbs. of torque, using a cheater bar with the pipe wrench, and using a pipe wrench and the impact drill simultaneously.

The #8 bolt extractor specifies a 13/16" pilot hole and the inside diameter of the broken pipe is 3/4". It has no problem biting into the inner walls of the pipe, but the pipe won't budge. With tremendous force (aka my dad applying more force to a cheater bar with his upper body than I can with my legs) I (he) can get the cheater bar to move, but only the extractor screws in further while the pipe hasn't moved at all. I'm worried that if I keep going, the pump casing is going to break before the pipe turns.

What are the chances of that happening? Would I be better off taking the pump to a shop so they can drill it out and re-thread the 1" NPT discharge opening and then fuss over metal shavings that may fall into the pump? Or will the pipe give if I just use more force? Or is there a better solution?

Old 02-02-18, 05:01 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Find someone to MIG weld a 3/4 inch hex head bolt to the piece of broken pipe and unscrew the bolt/pipe.

Old 02-02-18, 12:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
It sounds like the pump has some age. How much labor do you want to put into it? One option is to simply replace it with a new one. Other than that I think you've tried what you can. If a 4' cheater bar didn't get it to unscrew I doubt a bolt tigged onto the remains will fare much better. If you've got the free labor and the tools, as you mentioned, you can drill it out and tap for a larger size.

Old 02-02-18, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,510 Votes on 1,397 Posts
At this point if you wanted to go further..... I think you'd need to cut a slot an then try chiseling the threaded piece out. That piece left in the pump looks very porous. It almost looks like a poor casting. I doubt a weld would even take to it.

Name:  pump.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  54.8 KB

Old 02-03-18, 11:19 AM
S
So, I tried a few more turns on the extractor before giving up and when I stopped I noticed a crack. The body of the pump is okay, but the outermost female thread on the pump discharge outlet popped off and there's also a small crack in the offending pipe.

a pic:
Spoiler

I met a guy at Autozone who asked what I needed the Freeze-Off for and he too suggested welding a bolt to the pipe and he commented on the porosity of the break that it looked like cast aluminum.

My dad doesn't have welding stuff any more and besides his original suggestion of drilling/tapping it (with large/expensive bits I don't own), he said I should just cut it out and if I'm worried about metal shavings, cut it by hand with a hacksaw blade with pulling motions only.

I'm about to attempt PJmax's suggestion. Is it going to be a problem if I cut the female threads on the pump? (as in create a leak that's impossible to seal?)

Old 02-04-18, 05:37 PM
S
Posting to say I got it out (since I can no longer edit my last post).

I didn't think it would come out unless I cut through the threads, but, just in case, I cut up to the threads and tried hammering it with the threads intact and they broke off easily.
Spoiler

Now I just have to get that gunk out without it falling into the pump.

Thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: