Leaking edges of sump basin

Old 02-11-18, 05:07 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking edges of sump basin

We have had this issue happen at least once a year but today was the worst.
after enough rain and everything around the house is soaked, our basement seeps water up and out around the edges of our sump basin, the big plastic black tub in the sump pit..
today i finealy removed the cover which was bolted down because of radon pvc pipes , and I notice there are no working drains feeding into my sump basin..

there is one big French? PVC drain, and itís capped closed. There are no holes anywhere in my plastic basin, and the only thing that was allowing water into the basin was my secondary back up drain in the basement, it feeds into the basin when the basement floods..

i removed the cap off the French drain and water has been gushing out for at least a few hours... basement drained quick and water outside in basement stairwell is gone... I also noticed a huge titty in the side of the basin, I drilled a 3/8th hole and water started gushing through the hole and relieves pressure off the side of the basin, the titty or bulge is slowly going away..

sump pump works great as it was new 3 years ago and itís steady pumping gallons at a time now every few minutes..

my questions are these please...
1. why would someone cap off the pvc pipe or French drain Iíve been calling it, going into the sump basin?!

2. Why would there be no drainage holes in my sump basin? For water to drain into my sump and get pumped out?

Other then the backup old extra emergency drain a few feet away, I canít see anywhere else water would enter this sealed up sump basin.. except up from the bottom.

any help or knowledge is greatly appreciated! And thank you!

-Dan

Old 02-12-18, 07:25 PM
A
Received 231 Likes on 212 Posts
1. Because they don't know how sump pump and perimeter drain systems work. The fat PVC pipes entering the middle of the basin are supposed to collect water from all around the basement perimeter to dump into the basin.

2. Holes in the sump basin have advantages and disadvantages.
Advantage -- Prevent forces that want the entire basin to float up and out of its place underground when water surrounds it, possibly breaking the pipework..
Disadvantage -- Dirt may come into the basin via the holes near the bottom.

Did you ever see the basin uncovered before the radon system was installed? Were the fat PVC pipes uncovered back then?

Old 02-14-18, 08:19 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After lots of reading.. I decided to drill a few more holes at different heights around the basin.. and after 2 days now I have no more tittys or bulges in the basin, it has all dried up and no more water from the French drain either.. now it looks to all be working as it should, bring on the rain!

ive resealed the basin to the floor and resealed the lid for the radon.. Now just have to dry the carpet and maybe install a backup sump for those heavy rains but with the holes now and the French drain open and flowing as it should have been to begin with, Iím hoping for no more issues!

thanks!!

-Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: