Uplift pump mystery

Old 06-03-18, 05:25 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Uplift pump mystery

I have built my own house and installed both a sump pump and an uplift pump in the basement floor. The sump pump works fine. The only line running into the uplift pump is the line for the rough plumbed bath (not finished), which continues on to the furnace room as the floor drain. Running into the floor drain is the AC condensate line.

The uplift pump and tank is a Simer brand. It fills up with condensate water after a couple of hot, humid days, and backs up through the furnace room floor drain and runs out onto my basement floor. To prevent this, I have to remember to unplug the pump plug and the switch plug from the outlet and just plug in the pump every couple of days to drain the uplift canister. If I forget, then the basement floor has to be dried out ........ again. So, the pump works fine.

Last year was the first use of the uplift pump, and when it flooded back through the furnace drain, I thought that the float switch must be bad, so I replaced it with a new one. No improvement. Last week, I took the lid off of the tank to test the float switch with my VOM connected at the float plug. Lifting up the float switch showed that I got continuity at the plug.

Could the float be hanging up on the wall of the tank, so that it does not rise? There appears to be enough clearance, but the end of the float must touch the side of the tank as the water fills. I have even thought that maybe the piggyback arrangement of the two plugs is not letting current get through somehow, and have considered hard wiring the switch and pump into an outlet.

I am really tired of sponging the floor downstairs and am at wits end about what is going wrong with the uplift pump. Any ideas?

Old 06-03-18, 02:01 PM
F
Having considered the problem some more, I am going to remove the top of the lift tank again in a couple of days and relocate the float so that the cable runs over the top of the pump, which would allow the float to rise without touching the side of the tank. The way the Simer pump and float came, the float cable is connected to the circumference of the top of the pump, requiring the float and cable to rest between the pump and the tank. If the float rises free of obstruction, then the pump must activate. I will let everyone know if this cures the problem.

Old 06-03-18, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,598 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Something doesn't sound right there.

You definitely want to get the float problem straightened out.
You don't want sewage to be coming out a floor drain in the future,

Old 06-15-18, 09:00 AM
F
I took the top of the tank off again and saw that the float ball was hanging between the pump and the side of the tank. The float was touching the side of the tank. I loosened the cable clamp that fastens the float cable to the top of the pump and pivoted the float and cable around so that the cable runs across the top of the pump. The float at the end of the cable CANNOT touch the side of the tank at all, and does not in this new position. Now, several days later, the system is evidently working well because there is no AC condensate water on the basement floor, and the AC has been running every day.

Evidently, there is so little buoyancy in the float ball that it the float is positioned so that it can touch the side of the tank as the water in the tank rises, it will hang up there. Such an easy fix to this problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: