Pumptrol not kicking on

Old 06-18-18, 12:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pumptrol not kicking on

we just bought a house that has a shallow well dedicated to the sprinklers. I couldn’t get power to the submersible pump, so I bypassed the pressure switch, and I got water. I bought a new Square D 40-60 switch and wir d it in. But the only way I can turn it on is to hold up the little l-shaped bar on the side until the contacts click. Why would that be? Thanks
dave

Old 06-18-18, 03:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
DId you also replace the pipe nipple below the pressure switch? If not I would remove the pressure switch and take a look inside the pipe nipple to make sure it's clear. Sometimes the gunk up so the pressure switch can't sense the water pressure.

Old 06-18-18, 04:05 PM
D
Thanks. I cleaned out the nipple. Seems like the switch I bought has some low water cutoff that can cause problems with sprinklers. The cutoff shuts off the switch at 30 psi (10 below cutin). My system routinely drops to 20 before recovering. Guess I need the non-cutoff one.

Old 06-18-18, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I normally don't use the low pressure cut-off type but if you have a problem with the pump..... it can save the pump from burning up.

If your pump runs around 20psi when watering you are probably drawing more from it than it can deliver,

Old 06-18-18, 05:03 PM
D
Thanks. I’m not sure what it’s capable of. We just got this started today. But I think I n Ed to get the switch without the low pressure cutout. Would that be the one that does not have MP4 in model #?

Old 06-19-18, 04:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I think you are better off reducing the consumption when irrigating. Switch to lower flowing emitters. The reduced volume will help the system maintain pressure which will also help your sprinkler's performance. Then you can run the zones a bit longer to make up for the reduced gallons per minute.

Old 06-19-18, 05:23 AM
D
That makes sense. Thanks. One other thing...we actually have two wells. One is the shallow one that we were planning on using for irrigation. We also have a deep well for household water usage. They each have their own pumps and pressure tanks, and the pipes are tied together in the basement. I currently have the valve between the 2 systems turned off. If I were to open the valve, would it be additive as far as water volume? Would there be any possible detrimental effect on either pump by having both systems working at once? There is a check valve in pipe between systems so no shallow well water can back up into household system

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: