Sewage pump distance from basement wall

Old 06-28-18, 07:12 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewage pump distance from basement wall

I plan on installing a basement bathroom and would like to go with the in ground sewage ejector pit and pump. After getting the saniflo system and realizing this will be a disaster down the road after opening ot and seeing how poor quality it is.

The first step is to get the pit and trenches jackammered open. How far away from the basement wall does this pit need to be out? I have a perfect spot in the corner of the basement (so a wall on the left and behind the pit when facing it).

After I get this open, run the lines (correct pitch, etc.) what do I backfill with? There is crushed rock under there now. Then I just seal over with new concrete? Will the weight of this damage the PVC? Sorry for the questions, but my first time running under concrete.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-29-18, 06:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
For me it depends on your basement slab. I would want to keep the pit at least 6" and preferably more away from the edge of the slab to avoid cracking or breaking the existing slab where it is thin. Don't forget to put it somewhere it will be accessible in the future because it will eventually have to be opened up to do maintenance or repairs.

I would back fill around everything with clean crushed stone. I find #78 (3/8") size is easy to work with and get into all the voids when back filling. If back filled properly the stone will completely support and envelop the piping so there is no strain or stress on the pipe. That's a big reason to use clean crushed stone and not dirt. Then at the end you can cap it all off with bag mix concrete. Just make sure your patch is the same thickness as the old slab or at least 4" thick.

Old 08-30-18, 07:30 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have had the Sani-flo tank and ejector pump for over five years so far, without an issue. Mine is setting on the basement for, and pumps up (approx. 8') to my existing waste main. You didn't mention where your existing waste piping is. Does it run under the basement floor? If so, there is a main riser you could tie the new drain line into, an not have to break up the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: