UV Water Filtration

Old 08-09-18, 08:40 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
UV Water Filtration

I'min the process of buying a house in a fairly dense neighborhood built in the 1960s that for some reason everyone is still using well water even though the city water has been available for years. The house has a 48 foot deep well with history of failed caliform tests.

Shocking the well is clearing up the problem, but I'm guessing that due to the suburban nature of the neighborhood and the somewhat shallow well that contamination continues to happen.

The county wants 18k plus the additional cost of plumbing the meter into the house to connect city water. I'm looking into adding a UV filtration system to satisfy my wife. It looks like they can be had for less than 3k installed. I cannot find any good third party reviews on the efficacy of UV systems or the long term maintenance costs related to them. Can anyone point me to anything?

Thanks

Old 08-09-18, 09:01 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Remember, shocking the well only deals with the water currently in the well and distribution system . . . . not the aquifer.

My experience is that most coliform (other than e.coli) issues are found in the distribution system (sink strainers, washers, and swivels at cetera).

Here's a recent discussion regarding Ultra Violet filtration which may be helpful:

UV sterilizers

Remember too, well water is free . . . . while municipal water is a revenue stream for the community forever.

Old 08-09-18, 09:07 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree, on the free, but the house is on county sewage and they assess based on household size not actual usage. Our Friends that live three streets over are on a well with county sewage and their cost is nearly the same for their sewage only vs our entire water bill.

Old 08-12-18, 05:55 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Are there any neighbors that have a private septic system....and a leach field within 100 feet of your well ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: