Sump pump switch types - best for my application?

Old 08-15-18, 08:10 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pump switch types - best for my application?

I have a conventional wet sump basin thats approx. 24 inches deep by 18 inches and the water table is normally 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to full. What type of switch should I consider? I have used the float type but it sank and caused a panic so I replaced with an electronic sensor but that seems to cycle the pump too often and does not run the pump long enough to evacuate much water with out constant cycling, I'm afraid this will toast the motor. Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-18, 08:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I like the old fashioned plastic bulb on a wire with the switch located well above the sump. This allows you to guide the rod so you can keep the float from hitting anything and getting stuck. If you install another float switch you just have to make sure it's installed so it doesn't catch or hang up on anything. Many float switches are hollow and can fill with water but there are also some that are foam filled and cannot sink.

Old 08-15-18, 11:29 AM
A
Thats what caused a panic when it hung up and didn't turn on which is why I tried the electronic sensor type.

Old 08-16-18, 06:49 AM
A
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Ideally the sump pump switch assembly should have an adjustable (vertical) distance between turn on and turn off.

The turn on may require trial and error but for starters should be when the fat pipes dumping into the pit are about half covered.

When the pump starts it should keep going until the pit is nearly empty.

If you adjust the pump turn on you should let it run that way for a week before concluding whether you solved a problem or not.

During some times of the year the water in the pit may rise to a point and stop. Only when the stopping point is after the fat pipes are nearly submerged does it become tricky.

If the stopping point is above where the fat pipes are submerged (and of course below the basement floor) you might be tempted to set the pump switches so it stays that way, But you can run into a latent insensitivity situation; a sudden heavy rainstorm may result in flooding of the far corner of the basement. By not letting the drain pipes stay submerged the overall saturation of the soil all around the foundation perimeter will be less and the system may handle sudden heavy rain better.

Old 08-16-18, 07:20 AM
A
Got a Utilitech with electronic switch https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-0...p-Pump/3880627
When the float senses water it turns on then off after 10 seconds of no water contact which causes the pump to cycle off and on which we know will kill the motor. Good idea but bad design!

Old 09-04-18, 02:56 PM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Hydro Check HC6000. The best swtich on the market. I've had mine for several years it works flawlessly. I have the same water table situation as you.
here's why it's better than any float switch:
1) you can set the turn on/turn off levels to exactly where you want. this is a huge benefit not only for optimizing pump cycles, but for minimizing pump noise... you can turn off the pump before it sucks in air (which makes a lot of noise).
2) No mechanical parts to fail, get hung up, get clogged by iron particulates from the iron filter discharge, etc.
3) it keeps track of your pump's current draw. if it detects the pump is beginning to fail (as indicated by abnormal change in current draw) it will sound an alarm.
4) it's silent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: