2 check valves for a sump pump

Old 09-13-18, 07:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 check valves for a sump pump

Hi all-

Is there a problem if I have 2 check valves on the outlet line (pumps water outside the house) of a sump pump. I installed a battery backup pump and connected its outlet to the exiting outlet line using a split/connector. Then a second check value was installed on the main line (before it splits into 2).

The question is: Now the main pump has 2 check values in series. Does this cause any issues or add extra load to the main pump?

Thanks,
Davis

Old 09-13-18, 08:47 AM
A
Received 137 Votes on 126 Posts
Yes the second check valve will add some load to the main pump but I do not know whether that will become an issue.

You may need to add a third check valve, putting it in the backup pump line. This is so when the main pump runs the water does not go backwards into the backup pump and return to the pit. Once this is done you might as well remove the second check valve so now each pump's outlet path has just one check valve.

Old 09-13-18, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Each pump should have it's own check valve before the lines are combined into one pipe.

Old 09-13-18, 11:27 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for both your replies. I am new to the forum and this was very helpful - this made me think of the situation where water coming out from the main pump flowing back to backup pump in the absence of a check valve for itself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: