Septic pump on island

Old 10-16-18, 02:13 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic pump on island

How are septics pumped on island properties?

We have a cabin on a 5 acre island. Shared with 2 other cabins.

Water levels drop in the fall where you can drive across, albeit through a rocky 6 inches of water.

A secondary path to the island is uncovered once the water drops that leads from a non-island property to the island. The previous owners of that property allowed us to drive through their backyard up onto the island.

The new owners are not allowing us such access. So we are limited to crossing over by a simple man made bridge and still having to proceed through 6 inches of rocky water.

The previous backyard option meant any type of car could cross in the fall without getting wet.

We need to get our septic tank pumped and the pumpers are refusing to service us since they are not allowed to drive through water for environmental concerns and risk of sinking.

The lake does not have a public boat lunch. How do other island properties have their tanks pumped? Barges? But how do the barges get on the lake, and how large are they?

The road to our property and our private boat lunch is quite small and narrow.

The most common septic pumper is a 3 axle truck, similar to a dump truck. Do they come in smaller versions?

Other owners on the island either have never pumped to due their recent installation or have used the secondary backyard route which the current owners are prohibiting.

Thoughts?

Old 10-16-18, 02:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
If I remember correctly the truck that came up to my mountain property had a 2 axle truck. I assume it's too long a distance for them to hook all their hoses together and reach your tank ?? You might stop by a marina and see what they have to say about using a barge.

Old 10-16-18, 02:56 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should mention the lake doesn’t have a marina, nor access to any other waterways.

Old 10-16-18, 03:29 PM
H
Received 161 Votes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Aelk799
A secondary path to the island is uncovered once the water drops that leads from a non-island property to the island. The previous owners of that property allowed us to drive through their backyard up onto the island.

The new owners are not allowing us such access. So we are limited to crossing over by a simple man made bridge and still having to proceed through 6 inches of rocky water.

The previous backyard option meant any type of car could cross in the fall without getting wet.
Well, I'd talk to a local land use attorney, the term you want them to review is an "easement by prescription".

Basically, the idea is that a path that has been there and used for a long time for access across Lot A to Lot B; bestows a right on Lot B to continue to cross Lot A, it's not about the owners, it's about the use of the properties. Access across the property becomes part of the "deal" that the new owners get when they purchase property A or property B.

That being said, every state's laws are different, your laws and situation are different.

-Disclaimer, I'm an attorney and Realtor, but I'm not YOUR attorney or Realtor.

Old 10-16-18, 03:46 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As a Broker, I've been involved with remote shorefront camps that were built and are accessed only by Legal Foot Path or by water.

Sludge from septic tanks there are pumped by portable trash pump into three to five 50 Gallon Drums and floated to the opposite shore where they can be taken to the appropriate sanitary disposal sites by certified pumpers.

100 to 300 gallons of sludge is all that's usually removed from a 1000 gallon tank anyway; but you don't want to wait until the amount to be removed gets much greater than that or you could be there for a week,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: