Would you remove this plant?

Old 11-10-18, 02:51 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Would you remove this plant?

I have this bougainvillea plant growing on my terrace above my driveway (see white line in picture showing where the stalk of the plant is). These plants are on the list of plants that are NOTORIOUS for having roots that find their way to sewage pipes.
I have ABS pipe running all the way to the street, and this ABS pipe travels down about 7 feet deep or so. The white line that I drew doesn't show the depth.
There was a crack in the old clay pipes running from the curb to the city mainline. So I had plumbers stick a "sleeve" inside this clay pipe. So if this sleeve is working perfectly then I'm assuming that there should be NO water leaking down there, right?
I really like the look of this bougainvillea plant. I don't want to take it out unless there's eminent risk of it growing into the pipe. What do you think? Am I crazy for leaving it to grow away.

https://imgur.com/a/dIDOppP

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-18, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
The roots of ANY tree or bush will find their way to a cracked or leaking sewage pipe, yet trees of all kinds are prevelant in every neighborhood. So IMO you are likely either overreacting or needlessly paranoid.

Can't speak to the work someone else did, but I would assume the plumbers stopped the leak.