Replacing your drainfield? (save your old field)

Old 11-26-18, 07:05 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing your drainfield? (save your old field)

About 25 years ago my drain field plugged. The septic tank was a concrete tank and the outgoing concrete baffle to the drain field eroded and solids from the tank plugged the field.I had the baffle replaced with a PVC 90 Deg. Ellbow. But the drain field was not usable. The contractor who gave me the estimate for a new one said “if you can not use your drain field for a year, the solids will turn to ash, and will be usable again”, Well, that would be hard not to use it for a year.Anyway he said, being you have the room in your yard we could install another drain field next to the old one and put in a “paddle” valve so you can flip drain fields back and forth. It works great. I change fields every time I get the septic tank pumped which is every three years. They recommend you have it pumped every three years.The entire valve system cost about $30 for the extra 4” PVC pipe parts. At that time there was a company that made the paddle which was a piece of 3/8” or 1/2” plastic with foam around the outside. This just fit inside a 4” PVC “TEE”. All you need to do is to dig up the pipe take the cover off; Then pull the paddle out, and put it in the other drain field. Put the cover back on and it was set for three years. If you would have problems in the future, you have spare field. Like he told me, “even if you can save part of your old field it would be a help. It has worked great for years. Several things I did to get the 4" cap off easier: Put a larger eyebolt thru the cover. Put petroleum jelly on the cover to make it slide off easier.I see on the internet they make a valve on the internet so you can switch fields for $75.

Old 11-26-18, 09:08 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
the solids will turn to ash
Have never had a failed field, hope to never have one. but can attest to the fact that the buried dry well barrel that we have the dog waste never turns to ask, it breaks down to dirt/compost.

Thinking a failed field will somehow cure itself seems a little far fetched!

Old 11-26-18, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I know several folks that have 2 drain fields. I think they alternate between the two on a yearly basis. seems to work well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: