Well overflow

Old 12-02-18, 05:24 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well overflow

This fall Iíve noticed that there is basically a pond in my back yard that wasnít there before. We have been having quite a bit of rain this year and didnít really think much about it. The other day though my neighbor told me that there was a well near there. I never knew about it because it is totally covered up with grass. Now I am worried that it has been overflowing because of the rain. I do not really have any knowledge of wells or how they work.

Is this something that I should be worried about or will it eventually drain itself? Who would I call to look at something like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-18, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Did you look for it or find it ?
As far as I know..... an Artesian well is the only type that will overflow and flood the area.

Old 12-02-18, 06:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is definitely something back there. It looks like there is water flowing out of the ground back there and Iím pretty sure there arenít any water lines that far from the road. Iíve lived here for about 10 years and never seen the water pool like that back there.

Old 12-04-18, 08:38 AM
A
Received 89 Votes on 82 Posts
Give the weather some time (a couple of weeks) to dry out and then see if the pool goes away by itself. Could just be that the location of the pool is a low point for a fairly large area.

If the ground is porous enough for hundreds of feet it is possible for a broken water main in a street some distance away to cause water to come to the surface there.

Meanwhile we have not yet ruled out a water pipe running through the woods between streets and that could have sprung a leak.

Old 12-04-18, 10:42 AM
Z
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
It does seem like a leak could be possible to me also. I wonder, however, could there be some kind of drain back there, maybe hidden somewhat, that has become blocked up. A drain that prevents the area from being saturated over time.

Don't know if that's possible, just a thought. and maybe you have already gone over the area with a fine tooth comb.