Discharge pipe broken in front of home

Old 12-14-18, 04:45 AM
S
Received 4 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Discharge pipe broken in front of home

After a couple of companies came out none of them would give an estimate until they dug up the area and wanted to charge and arm n leg to do when it was more than obvious what the issue was. I took it upon myself to dig which took 5mins as I started noticed water seeping through the foundation in the basement right under the discharge. I would like to tackle this myself but a couple things I'm concerned with.

I'm guessing the weight of the soil over time put pressure on the pipe and finally broke. When I attempt to lift the pipe to the level of the broken outlet pipe it wont budge much due to the weight of the soil holding it down. The other issue is how would one tie a section to that broken piece coming out of the foundation? I have no problems digging more if need be. Just trying to gauge what all would be involved to get it done right. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 12-14-18, 05:42 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Is that a Cast Iron Pipe ?

Where are its contents headed . . . . a Septic Tank or to a municipal sewer and treatment facility ?

Old 12-14-18, 06:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
You will need a lot more digging to line up and we need to know that the pipe is made of. Iron .Plastic etc.

Old 12-16-18, 01:40 PM
S
Thank you all for the replies. After giving it a closer look I decided to call a qualified plumber. The bottom of the pipe coming out the foundation broke too close in the wall that there isn't much room to add a coupler. Plumber came out, explained everything in detail with a price that made me not want to take the risk.

He has to run a new section of pvc pipe through the wall to tie into the outside broken discharge piece and waterproof it while keeping all the old black pipe. He really wanted to run a new discharge pipe in the back of the house for a shorter run but cannot due to the screened porch. For a little more I'm having him replace all the old black pipe from the pump to the new pipe with pvc along with a new pump and check valve. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow. Will post an update.

Last edited by stovepipe; 12-16-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 04:04 PM
S
Everything has been fixed. Plumber was very humble in explaining everything in great detail. New pump, check valve, all new PVC from pump to the outside that's tied into the broken discharge. We had record breaking rain this past weekend. Downside was the block wall got filled with water due to the pipe being broken so far into the foundation wall. Thank you all for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: