Water well pump

Old 02-15-19, 09:37 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Water well pump

I have installed a new submersible 220 volt water well pump, pressure tank & pressure switch. My problem is everything is working but the pump turns off at times on its own even though the contacts on the pressure switch are still engaged. This is a shallow well pump which is one half horsepower & is a very shallow well. sometimes the pressure will fall to zero before the pump kicks on although the switch is engaged. I have some overly long wires down the well to the pump, could this be my problem or do I have a faulty pump. I would sure appreciate some help on this.

Old 02-15-19, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This is a shallow well pump which is one half horsepower & is a very shallow well
A little confusing here. If it's a very shallow well...... why would there be long wires ??

If you suspect a voltage problem you will need a voltmeter. You need to confirm you are actually sending 240v down to the pump when it should be running.

Old 02-16-19, 06:31 AM
O
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Your post is confusing. You say the pump shuts off on its own. I am going to guess that you might mean the low pressure safety shut down gets activated, since you also mentioned about the pressure dropping to zero at times. Do you have to hold down a little lever on the pressure switch to get it to work again.

If I am right above, just let out some air from the pressure tank. I suspect your air pressure is above the cut in pressure of the pump. When that happens, the air in the tank will push ALL the water out of the tank before the pump kicks in. Since a pressure tank cannot emit pressure on water that is not in the tank, the water pressure drops to zero. This would also shut down a pump that has that safety mechanism (there in case your well runs dry. It protects your pump from over heating and damaging it).

The air pressure in your pressure tank must be at least 2 psi BELOW the cut in pressure of your pump. This measurement can only be done when the pressure tank has no water in it.

If the air pressure is BELOW the cut in pressure it ensures that there is always a little bit of water in the tank just before the pump turns on and refills it. This is how a proper system should work. Just so you know, it is the compressed air that pushes on your water to create water pressure when the pump is off.

Old 02-19-19, 04:04 AM
E
Thanks for your reply. No, it does not have the safety shut off type pressure switch. This pump turns off in the middle of a cycle with the contacts on the pressure switch still engaged, then at some point the pump will come back on & build pressure to 60 psi, but may fall to zero on the next cycle. Since my post I have added new wiring & shortened the wiring down the well & still have the same problem. The air pressure in the tank was set at the time of installation at 37 psi as the kick on pressure of the switch is 40 psi. I really think I have a defective pump.

Old 02-19-19, 04:08 AM
E
When the pump goes off in the middle of the cycle I have checked the pump side of the pressure switch with a volt meter & there is 220 volts. It is a 220 volt pump.

Old 02-19-19, 05:44 AM
O
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If the pump is shutting off and there is no safety shut off engaging, then it sounds like an electrical problem of some sort, either with the pump or wiring.

That said, even if you switched it off yourself, mid-cycle, the water pressure should not drop to zero if your pressure tank is still working correctly. I wonder if you have two problems. In any case, the electrical one is more critical so fix that and if you still get some pressure drops then think about removing some air from the tank. Pressure guages, whether for water or air, as well as pressure switches are not always precisely accurate.

Old 02-19-19, 07:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 910 Votes on 838 Posts
Is there any chance your well is running dry? It's pretty easy to do with a shallow well. Once the water is pumped down the pump can continue to run but no water flows making it appear as though the pump has quit.

Old 02-23-19, 05:52 AM
E
No, there is plenty of water, you can see & measure it.

Old 02-23-19, 06:12 AM
Z
Received 40 Votes on 39 Posts
How deep is the well and what pump are you using? What pump did you replace? How far below the water surface is the pump? How far from the bottom is the pump?

Old 02-23-19, 07:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 910 Votes on 838 Posts
Are you inspecting the water level in the well when you are not getting water in the house. If you are checking the well 10 minutes after the water quit then the well could have recovered. All it takes is for the water level to get low enough that the pump starts sucking air.

Old 03-31-19, 04:59 PM
E
After living with this pump for a few months yesterday I changed it out for a new unit & everything works fine. BAD PUMP. New units can be defective!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: