Sump pump check valve

Old 03-22-19, 01:04 PM
Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sump pump check valve

Hello,

Iím looking at replacing my existing loud sump sump check valve. Itís making a loud thump throughout the day given the warmer weather and melting snow.

Iím looking at various types of quiet check valves.

The manual for the pump says the check valve should be placed 12 inches above the pump output. I guess that means my current install is incorrect, and I should install the new valve much higher up the discharge pipe?

I also plan on securing ththe vertical discharge pipe. Better. Right now it runds from the pump all the way up to the ceiling joist without any support midway.

Attached Images   
Old 03-22-19, 03:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,457 Posts
Yes, following the manufacturer's instructions is a good idea. The thunk of a closing check valve is pretty common. I've never heard of a silent one (pun intended).

Old 03-22-19, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
I have found that some check valves work better up higher. The noise is caused by the column of water coming back down and closing the flapper to slam. If the check valve is high.... there is less water above it. They also make some that have a weighted flapper and working in a horizontal line.

Old 03-23-19, 04:46 AM
Z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-23-19, 07:06 AM
Received 620 Likes on 553 Posts
The check valve can be placed any place along the discharge pipe. Makes little or no difference. Many pumps come with a check valve that screws directly to the discharge of the pump. Point of the check valve is to prevent the water in the pipe to go back into the pit and thereby raising he water level and causing the pump to cycle more often. Personally I never use one. The reason being is if and when I need to service the pump (haven't had to do that for many years) I have to deal with this volume of water under head pressure that usually spray all over me and the surrounding area. I could put in a ball valve. But that would require some extra work.

As far as the noise goes, well it just depends. Most will make noise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: