Septic tank outlet pipe leak

Old 03-23-19, 05:02 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic tank outlet pipe leak

I am hoping someone can give some advise. I recently had our tank pumped and was told the outlet baffle was broken. Our home was built in early sixties and the baffle was made from concrete. I used an adapter that locks into the existing outlet pipe and attached a sanitary tee with an eighteen inch extension down into the tank itself. After a few days, the water level reached the outlet pipe and I can see signs that water has been flowing out to the finger pipes. However, when there is no water coming from the house, the water level in tank drops just below the outlet pipe opening. I'm thinking the outlet pipe seal is leaking and discharge water is getting out of the tank there. I dug about three feet from tank thinking I found the distribution box but instead of box I found that there is gravel poured all the way to tank. Being an older home, I'm not sure there even is a distribution box. Should I pursue digging down to discharge pipe to confirm leak or leave well enough alone because everything seams to be working?

Old 03-23-19, 10:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
I would remove the T and pipe you put in and in it's place install a filter on the tank's outlet. It will help protect the leach field by preventing solids from making their way out of the tank.

As far a the leak in the outlet pipe only you can find that out. I wouldn't read too much into finding crushed stone outside the tank. Often when there is extra stone left over they will dump it wherever to get rid of it.

Old 03-24-19, 04:19 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot for taking the time to reply. I will follow your advice and button her up....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: