Septic output baffle corrosion

Old 04-07-19, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic output baffle corrosion

my septic system has 2 tanks. the first is a 1000 gal single chamber. the 2nd is a 1000 gal 2 chamber. the output of the 2nd tank looks corroded and I want to add a filter. but what's left of the baffle is in the way (see pic).

Can I just chip away at the baffle with a hammer and chisel to chunk it out of the way??

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-19, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
I'm not seeing a baffle in your picture. I do see what appears to be grease and other buildup that can be removed.

If installing a filter on the outlet it is common to have to remove the existing concrete baffle or at least bust off the end so you can install the filter. Many filters then simply get pressed/hammered into the outlet pipe.

Old 04-16-19, 11:12 AM
so I poked and prodded and all the crud around the opening is some kind of mixture of gravel and "cream cheese" for lack of a better term. not sure where it came from or how it formed there, but I removed it all to expose the output baffle. I don't have a pic yet but suffice it to say there's a fully intact baffe the top of which is right at about the level of the bottom of the output pipe. so effluent is seeping over the top and then flowing out the pipe to the field. it is very clean effluent. all the scum and sludge is in the first tank and is not getting to the 2nd tank.

I'm not sure why this baffle doesn't extend way up beyond the top of the output pipe. it is not degraded. it's square and flat and looks like new almost. so this was by design.

but I still want to install the filter. but the baffle is in the way. so what's the best way to remove it? I'm wary of whacking it with a sledge hammer as I don't want to cause collateral damage to the tank... cut it off with a grinder after I pump the tank dry???

Old 04-16-19, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
The white stuff is likely grease. Something you do not want getting out into the leach field.

You remove the existing baffle when installing a filter. A few whacks with a hammer is usually enough to break it off. Then you drive the filter into the outlet pipe. I place a board against the filter to protect it and pound it in with a hammer.

Old 04-22-19, 12:43 PM
so the crud around the output looks to be the residue from the corroded back wall of the tank. above the water line it's all crumbling. I actually punched a hole right through it, and patched it with hydraulic cement. the top of the tank has several large cracks but appears to still be quite thick. I believe there's a ridge of corrosion around the tank walls above the water line.

how long do you think until this tank collapses in? its only 28 years old. the first tank is in much better shape. debating if I should replace the entire tank now.

Old 04-22-19, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
That is very hard to say. I wouldn't be driving any heavy equipment over the tank though. But, I have never seen a pre-cast tank totally fail. I've seen built in place ones with cement block crumble and fall apart but the pre-cast tanks I've seen hold up pretty well.