Pressure tanks - why a bladder?

Old 04-21-19, 12:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure tanks - why a bladder?

Hi All,
Old Fibreglass wound pressure tank (Wellmate WM-25WB) is waterlogged I am guessing. Water coming out of the Schrader valve at the top.I have another Sears tank (390-291601) from a well we no longer use but it too is water logged. I am trying to remove the bladder but cannot get it more than an inch or two out of the hole.Either my hands are not strong enough (most likely) or there is a simple trick I am not ware of.This begs the question, why the bladder? Could I not seal it up without the bladder, start the pump running and let it fill to say halfway and turn off the pump. Then check the pressure and add compressed air or release it if already higher than 28-PSI?What's wrong with air-water-tank. Well, aside from a rust issue on this Sears, but not so on the fibreglass one I am guessing.Thanks SORRY for the wall of text but this Forum is ignoring Linux CR as CR+LF I think. I am on dozens of forums and do not get this.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-19, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
The bladder can not be replaced. It is bonded to the side of a tank.

One you start using a tank with no bladder you'll discover quickly what the bladder does.
If you are using a tank with no bladder and the water gets drawn down low..... the air pressure escapes from the tank. If you don't mind routinely (read that as monthly or so) recharging the air then it will work fine.

Old 04-22-19, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The bladder in a pneumatic tank is to keep a separation between the air that is compressed when the tank fills and the water.
Older tanks that do not have a bladder have a floating piece of foam as a separation but require periodic recharging of the air.
As said, bladders are not meant to be replaced.

Old 04-22-19, 06:06 AM
OK guys, thanks for that information. If it is just recharging the system then we are OK with that. There is piped compressed air less than 10-feet away from the tank.

I appreciate the comments but tanks **can** have the bladders replaced.

Not our model in the link below, but I found the correct one for it on this site for $180 a few days back.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/pro...jd96u-0042-390

At almost 200-bucks with shipping, it makes no sense when a new well-mate or whatever name it is, is barely over $100 from Lowes. But no surprises at Sears repair part prices.

Old 04-22-19, 06:10 AM
Wall of text

Now there' an interesting thing. No wall of text, I just used the "Quick Reply" box rather than the "Advanced" or quoting a reply and the text is formatting just fine.

Seems "Advanced," is not as advanced as it could be.

Old 04-22-19, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You are correct about replacing bladders.
I should have explained that although they CAN be replaced the economics of doing so are not practical.

It is the opinion of many that even if you could replace one the tank will be many years old and the lining of the tank is not designed for contstant water immersion.
The comment "you can not rebuild one" will not always be believed when a better statement would be "you should not rebuild it".

This applies to many things that people do not and should not rebuild these days.