Pump or tank problem?

Old 05-03-19, 12:33 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump or tank problem?

I thought I had (with your help) solved the pump installation I've been messing with.

Everything seemed to go smoothly, BUT

the problem I'm having now is when the pump cuts in when the tank is not connected there is a strong steady flow of water that seems like it would last forever.

When the pressure tank is hooked up and the power is turned on and a hose turned on, as soon as the pressure switch cuts in, it rapidly cuts in and out repeatedly, approx.twice /second.

When I shake the tank, it seems like it is maybe half full and the water sloshes around inside. The pressure switch is new.

What gives???

Old 05-03-19, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
With the system at 0psi the tank needs to be set a pound or two under the pressure switch setting.

Old 05-03-19, 03:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi: I know that much (but little more). The switch came preset at 20-40. I want to have 30-50lbs. as I always used. I put 28lbs in the tank and adjusted the switch to cut in at 30# and off at 50#. It seemed to be working properly. When I originally removed the tank while pulling the old pump, it would not drain, although there was at least a 1/2 tank of water. I removed the valve stem and completely drained the tank. Then re-pressurised to 28#. Would the almost instant on-off cycle indicate the tank pressure is too low or too high?

Old 05-05-19, 11:37 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The pressure tank air pressure is too high. Setting pressures using pressure guages to within 2 psi is a little difficult. Just remove a couple psi of air pressure and if the problem is solved, great. If not, add the air back and report back.

What is happening is a pressure tank cannot exert pressure on water outside of the tank. If the air pressure is higher then the cut in pressure, ALL the water will be pushed out of the tank BEFORE the pump cuts in to fill it up. As the water is pushed out of the tank, the pressure drops to zero. The short cycling is usually a result of the air pushing the bladder into the pipe opening so that when the pump kicks on the water hits the bladder and is stopped. This appears as infinite pressure and the pump cuts out. Pressure drops and pump cuts in, etc., etc. Eventually after a few short cycles the bladder is dislodged and the tank refills with water.

If air in not removed the whole situation may repeat itself when the tank empties.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: