Why not unscrew the bottom fitting?

Old 05-03-19, 11:37 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why not unscrew the bottom fitting?

Hi, Welmate WM-25WB pressure tank is leaking around the outside of the Schrader valve and not repairable. Way to go Wellmate, built in obsolescence.

So, out it came and in went a different brand. So now I have this nice big Fibreglass tank that I could use for moving water to cattle troughs after adding a couple of pipe fittings.

Big sign in red on the bottom saying "Under no circumstances remove bottom pipe fitting."

I have removed the Schrader valve insert and the tank is empty of water and air. So, what's left in there that's so dangerous?

Flesh eating virus?
Piranha?
Big spring?

Thanks

Old 05-03-19, 11:47 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
I suspect that is there for when the tank is in service, it's been depressurized so you are good to go, unless the virus is still active!

Old 05-04-19, 07:24 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I had figured that, but the sticker is on the underside and when in service, (full of in water) it would have weighed about 300-lbs, so getting to even see the sticker would have been a bigger obstacle. So, thought I'd ask just in case it was spring-loaded as a booster for the bladder positioning.

But, maybe the sticker was there for when it arrived new and it being visible was a small possibility. With the tank pre-charged it could then be a risky situation. I'll be taking a hacksaw to it later this afternoon.

Last edited by kay dee; 05-04-19 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Dsylexia -- agani
Old 05-05-19, 11:22 AM
A
Received 132 Votes on 121 Posts
1. The pipe assembly might have an inner nut that does not fit all that loosely so when you get it partially loose the nut spins with the threaded nipple indefinitely and you cannot get a wrench inside to hold one part steady while you turn the other.

2. The pipe assembly might be shaped in a way that if you loosen it you stand a high chance of tearing the fiberglass tank body near the opening trying to get it out.

Old 05-06-19, 12:40 PM
T
Received 22 Votes on 18 Posts
That warning is there for a good reason, a reason you may never know until you do what it warns you not to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: