Wire Guage for 1/2Hp Jet Pump

Old 05-17-19, 05:43 AM
Wire Guage for 1/2Hp Jet Pump

OK. So I am currently enjoying the wonderful effects that come from Spring River Flooding at my cottage/camp. This year it is unreal. Record flooding levels have now put a few feet of water in my crawlspace. So far none has made it into the main floor.

I believe most of my house wiring is in the attic, safe and dry, except for my baseboard heaters and it would appear, the wiring for my Jet Pump. This wiring has been fully submerged for over a week and currently still is. The pump itself is on the main floor, nice and dry but the wire feeding power to it goes from the breaker box, down into the crawlspace and up to the pump...and is currently fully submerged in water.

Since all the wire down there is NMD, my electricity codes are specific. Replace it all. Whether I need to or not, since it is plastic PVC jacketed, is probably irrelevant, because the power company already turned off all my power, on their own, for safety reasons, and I will now need an inspection to get it back on. You know how those guys are.

OK. So I noticed the wire going to my pump is 12/2. I am pretty sure it is connected to a 15A breaker (I will verify this the next time I am down).
Is there any reason why a 1/2Hp Jet Pump should be on 12 guage wire or would 14 guage work just fine. I am not as concerned about my baseboard heaters right now (have woodstove and know they will need to be 12/2) but I will need that pump fairly soon and I want to be prepared. It's not a big deal but I already have a lot of 14/2 NMD wire, that I can use. The pump is fairly close to the breaker box so this is not a big repair. I just want to ensure I use the correct wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-19, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
A 1/2hp jet pump running on 120v should be below 10A.
If the motor tag shows over 10A..... I'd use #12 wiring on either a 15A or 20A breaker.

Old 05-17-19, 12:20 PM
Sounds good. Thanks you.

Old 06-11-19, 06:01 AM
So when I read the spec label on my Diamond brand 1/2 Hp jet pump it said that it had a max. load of 12.4Amps. Not sure if that is continuous or a surge load at the beginning, if jet pumps even have a current surge at the start, but that decided the issue of the wire. Since I was out of power for a while I had a 2000 w generator loaned to me. The generator said it put out 13.3 amps so I figured I would install a plug on my pump and have some water as well. That generator just gave a small umph before its breaker went. So I am not sure which is wrong. The pump drawing more then 12.4A or the generator not putting out 13.3A, but in either case, I knew I was going to use 12 AWG wire.

So when I got power restored to my dwelling I installed the 12/2 wire and my pump is back to working again. It is and always has been on a 15A breaker, with never a problem.

I just wanted to update this thread. I am still surprised a 1/2 Hp jet pump would draw 12.4 A on a 120Volt circuit, but it is what it is, I suppose. I am not a pump expert so that probably explains it. The pump is pumping water at maybe a 10 ft. elevation with a 40 ft line to the dwelling.

Old 06-11-19, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
I am still surprised a 1/2 Hp jet pump would draw 12.4 A on a 120Volt circuit,
That could be a little high but the draw on 120v is typically higher than anticipated.
A 2kw generator would be too small to start a motor like that. As a guess.... 3500w or larger.