Putting a flag pole in septic field

Old 05-27-19, 08:20 AM
Putting a flag pole in septic field

On a new home that I general contracted I have a two year old PVC line septic system which makes up nearly all of the front yard. I would like to put a 25' commercial grade hinged base flag pole in the front yard and thus in the system field. For this type and size pole a 30x36 hole is recommended. I'm confident I can hand dig the hole and avoid damaging a PVC line. I know how concrete will rot inside a septic tank so I was thinking I would use a plastic 55 gallon drum (almost the size of the 30x36 hole) so that any leaching liquid does not contact the concrete. I'd be using a single pour with real concrete (no redi-mix) and probably 5/8" x 34" anchor bolts (to the hinged base).

Obviously it would be best to not have the pole in the leach field but to have it in the perimeter would look very odd in this instance.
I don't expect anyone to guarantee that this pole installation would not cause some issue. If I can:
1. Dig the hole w/o disturbing any pvc line and
2. Use the plastic drum (possibly getting it a bit deeper than it's approx 36" height)

...then isn't the effluent flow, for all practical purposes not really disturbed in any measurable way? That's essentially my question.

Thanks for your comments.... JP

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-19, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't think the leach field would damage the concrete. Just make sure you can set the pole in between lines.

Old 05-27-19, 09:53 AM
I know how concrete will rot inside a septic tank
\

Rot concrete, that's news to me!

Old 05-27-19, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Septic tanks are made of concrete so I wouldn't be worried about using it to anchor your flag pole. I would get a long thin rod and probe your yard where you want to put the pole. With the rod you can find the gavel around the leach line and the soil area in between.

Old 05-28-19, 03:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The place I had in fla had a fiberglass septic tank. I assume they are cheaper than the concrete ones. I've never seen or heard of one here in east tenn. They might not be allowed everywhere.

Old 05-29-19, 10:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. The plastic 55 drum is probably unnecessary and I agree likely overkill on the concrete being compromised by bacteria. In my previous home the concrete baffle in the tank rotted and fell off after approx 20 years (very common so I have been told by a few people in the business of septic system pumping and installation. My biggest concern is just the presence of the cylindrical concrete mass in the septic field. No doubt an system installer would likely say don't do it but if it can be carefully/strategically placed I don't see it's presence in the field as affecting the field operation. Again, thanks for your input.