Sump pump in new house

Old 06-17-19, 07:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump in new house

We just built a new house and we have two sump pumps in the basement. They are currently pumping out the side of the house, but I want to get the water away from the house. I thought about installing a dry well, but we have a lot of clay and I don't think that will help too much. Most of the property is pretty flat, but we do have a creek that is about 350' away from the house. I don't really want to pump the water that far from the house because I am worried about premature pump failure.
I have come up with an idea that might work, but want some additional input. I can build a dry well near the house. The sump pumps will pump into it near the top. Then about a foot lower install a line that leads to the creek. There is enough elevation change that I can have the end of the line be lower than the start of it in the dry well. That should cause a siphon to make sure the sump pumps don't have to push the water all the way. I would make sure the highest point in the line is lower than the pump inlet so I don't end up pumping the water anyway. I want gravity to take care of the pumping. Is this a good idea? Is there a better way to get the water away from my house? Thanks for any input you may have.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-19, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If there is a constant pitch downwards from the house to the creek..... there is no need for a drywell.
Just discharge the pumps into that drain line. Gravity will move the water. One thing that needs to be considered is the underground line freezing if you are in a cold zone.

Old 06-17-19, 07:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. We are in Kansas, so we are in a cold zone. Do I need to worry about the end of the line since it will be coming out of the side of a hill and be exposed to cold air? How do I ensure it doesn't freeze so I am not dead heading the pump against an ice plug?

Old 06-17-19, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
You have to carefully set up your drain lines. Even the lines coming out of the house can freeze.
The pumps will discharge into an open fitting at the top of the horizontal drain run. If that lines freezes..... the water will just come out of the open fitting.

Old 06-18-19, 02:41 AM
Received 69 Votes on 62 Posts
I agree, a dry well is not a good solution, draining to the creek, even at that distance would be better.

Remember, your ground water is 55 degrees so as long as you have good slope, no flat spots the flowing water will not freeze for the 60 seconds it's in the pipe.

Pipe should be 4" and a slope greater than 1/4" per foot, more the better!

I have at 5 lines (sump, GEO, and gutters) all going to my creek, not one has ever frozen and I'm probably 100' away but water gushes out!