pump suddenly will not build pressure/shut off

Old 06-22-19, 10:49 AM
pump suddenly will not build pressure/shut off

This is the strangest thing -- first I've been servicing my own residential well for years and understand it pretty well. I've replaced the pump and foot valve a couple times. the pump is in the basement.

So I've had a slight green tinge to the water (in another post!). So I bought a "Well Safe" well sanitizer kit to shock the well by a company called Better Water Industries Tyler MN. following instructions I took off the well cap and put the pellets down the well and also poured a mixture of granules in water down as well per instructions (both of "sanitizer" or chlorine). then ran water down the well for 15 minutes. after running the water for 15 minutes I shut it off and the pump just kept running. it never built pressure and shut off as it always does. i turned off the power and expected the pump to lose prime slowly (as when I needed a foot valve) and it held pressure at 44lb so no leak down. I also shut off the main to the house to eliminate anything upstream and that did not make any difference. So right now, it's holding at 44lb pressure with the power off and the main shut. If I turn the pump power on it runs constantly and steady at 44--46lb and I can run the taps fine. it just doesn't build pressure and shut off! I can't imagine what the sanitizer work could possible have to do with pressure but it's an odd coincidence. and if it was something to do with the foot valve or lines it would leak down and lose prime? which it's not doing.

Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-19, 10:55 AM
PS the pump would typically shut off at 58lb. it would switch on at about 40 and run steady with a typical draw at 46-48 if i recall correctly.

Old 06-22-19, 11:32 AM
And lastly if I shut the valve after the pump but before the bladder it still runs on and will not build pressure against the shut valve -- doesnt that mean it's something on the intake end of the system?

Old 06-22-19, 02:29 PM
Any thoughts on tjis -- I'm going to pull up the lines next and check it all out but no idea what would cause this.

Old 06-22-19, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
I'm a little confused..... your title is "pump suddenly will not build pressure/shut off".

Is this a continuation of a problem from here..... well-pump-does-not-reach-pressure-shut-off.html