Setting pump pressure

Old 10-10-19, 09:42 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Setting pump pressure

I recently had my well pump replaced after 21 years (Gould Pump). it was set for 30-55 PSI.
The replacement pump was a Berkley and the tech set the pressure to 40-65 PSI. Will this higher pressure reduce the life of the pump. The higher pressure is good, but wouldn't this reduce the lifespan of the pump running at a higher pressure? I mean why would the switches at the supply house have two different ones. The 30-55 and the 40-65? Its a submersible pump @215'.

Old 10-11-19, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
The difference is not enough to make any real difference to your pumps operating life.
it could actually increase it's life because the higher pressure will give it a slighly higher capacity, reducing pump cycling.

Old 10-11-19, 10:11 AM
O
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Higher pressure is harder on both pump and pipes. How much harder can be debated but no doubt the push of war the pump is conducting when it is filling your pressure tank just got a little harder.

Did the tech change the air pressure in your pressure tank at the same time. It is supposed to be set at around 2-3psi below the cut in pressure. So previously it would be set at 28psi and now it should be set at 38psi. If it is still at 28 psi with a cut in at 40psi, then the system will work but you will notice that you get a lot less water between pump cycles (pump off to pump on again). That would mean your pump needs to cycle on more often and that would be a lot more detrimental to your pump life.

So make sure the air pressure in your pressure tank is close to the 40psi without going over. 2-3 psi below is as high as you should attempt to go to take into account measurement errors and changes in pressure due to temperature change, etc. This measurement must be done when the tank is empty of water with 0psi of water pressure.

Old 10-11-19, 07:14 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pressure upped

They did up the tank pressure to almost 40. Pressure is great but the down side is I use a lot more hot water for a shower because of the rate increase. I run out of hot water faster now. I have a 40G indirect. So I think the operational cost will be higher. She runs at about 5 or 6amps .5hp. The Gould was a PSC motor, this is a CSCR motor. I don’t think submersible pumps have overheating issues being submersed in water continually.

Last edited by hvac01453; 10-11-19 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-13-19, 07:05 AM
A
Received 134 Votes on 123 Posts
Sixty PSI pump turn off pressure is a good compromise.

The system pressure should not affect how soon it takes to run out of hot water. THe incoming water termperature, which may be lower in winter, can have an effect since during drawing of hot water, some commingling of incoming water with heated water occurs in the middle of the tank. This lukewarm zone starts small at the bottom of the tank and gets larger as it rises.

A tighter, say 50/60 ratio of pump turn on to pump turn off will make pressure changes harder to feel during your shower while a looser ratio say 30/60 will allow more water to be drawn before the pump restarts giving a more pump friendly longer less frequent cycle. Usually the ratio is somewhere around 2/3, here, 40/60 or 36/55 or 43/65.

Also, to achieve the most pump friendly cycle length, the pressure tank pressure must be set properly, see preceding replies Measure with the pump switched off and a cold faucet upstairs open. (All hot faucets must be kept closed.).

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-13-19 at 07:20 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: