Sump discharge line broken

Old 11-07-19, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump discharge line broken

Hi,

My sump discharge line has broken outside the house right at the foundation, I noticed water shooting out there yesterday when the sump was running. It is a 1.5" ABS pipe. I have no idea how far it runs away from the house as I have never had to deal with it in 13 years of being there. I attached a few pictures of the inside and outside.

We also have a corrugated plastic line running from my front downspout out to the street which is only a couple feet from the sump line, this was also there when we moved in and has never been an issue, it is common in my area. I'm wondering if the sump line could be tied into it, I guess the only was to find out is to start digging.

I realize that I'll have to replace at least the section of pipe that runs into the house or the entire thing, there is currently what appears to be roofing tar around the interior and exterior where the pipe enters and exits the foundation. Is it easy to remove the pipe from the foundation. Is this a big job or relatively minor, just some labor/digging and re-plumbing this interior line?

Sorry for the crappy pics, especially the exterior one, it was tough to get a good pic, the crack is right where the pipe enters the house.

Thanks

Attached Images    

Last edited by mylobear; 11-07-19 at 08:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-19, 09:30 AM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
Your going to have to dig it us, that may give some indication as to what happened.

If there is sufficient un-broken pipe on the outside I'd just repair, if it's cracked into the wall then you have no option to remove and replace!

Usually they dont go through the walls as that is potential water leak!

Old 11-07-19, 09:39 AM
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
I would class it as a relatively minor repair.

If the tar is old and hard then you may be able to just chip it out.
If still flexible it may take a little more effort. Perhaps try heating it up with a heat gun.

Old 11-07-19, 09:50 AM
I dug out around the line about 4-5 feet from the house, the rest of the line seems fine just broke at the foundation.
Our soil is mainly clay and throughout the summer it dries out and compresses and resaturates over the fall so I think that is the cause of the crack. I definitely need to replace the section into the foundation.
Having the discharge through the foundation wall is normal in my area, all of my neighbors have the same setup. It did get me thinking though. The discharge line is only 6-8" below ground and being in Canada must freeze over the winter, granted the sump never runs in the winter unless we get a ton of rain, I've never had an issue with it. In my neighborhood it is common to see sump lines running into the ditch by the street and running year round though.

Old 11-07-19, 12:50 PM
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
If you have never had a problem then it is probably OK
Hard to tell what if any slope is on the pipe.

I would use pea gravel around the pipe for a couple feet from the hose.
That should help eliminate any movement due to frost.

Old 11-07-19, 01:18 PM
I would guess there is very little slope on the pipe but without digging a whole trench I can't be sure nor do I know how far it runs, I'm assuming to the street just like everyone else's in the neighborhood, unfortunately I don't have a ditch in front of my house, where everyone else's exits the ground, mine was filled in with a rain runoff pipe underground running parallel to the road before we moved in years ago.

I've literally never had an issue before so I'm gonna take the pea gravel idea and do that, replace that section of pipe and hopefully be done with it.

Thanks!